How to get clown fish to breed? How long do they live?

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a paint of clown fish that must be 5-8 years old. They never breed but they do dig a next. Advice?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a pair?

Is one clown twice the size of the other one? Large one is female. Smaller male.

The female lays eggs on a flat rock. But! Other fish in the tank quickly eat those eggs up.

To breed only the Female, Male are in the tank.

Even them it has to be the right conditions, water quality, temp, about 1000 other factors

OP
OP
kecked

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is twice the size for sure! They protect their space andive never seen another fish there or even near. They even have a cave of their own. Just seems like after all these years they should breed. They hang out together and even sleep together.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some take longer than others to breed. And even though it seems like they have "paired" together they may never breed. What type of clowns are they?

Personally I have a snowflake and misbar pair, the female snowflake has laid eggs a couple times but the male is too young to fertilize them. It's been a few months since the last eggs were laid. All my parameters are the same so who knows what's going on.

OP
OP
kecked

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
regular percula I think. Thinking about it, I wonder how many I could have given the DT is only a 65!

Crimsontopper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mad Hatter's Reef just released a podcast about breeding clown fish this morning. Its called saltwater aquarium radio. He interviews two guys who breed clowns. He just put up a ton of new podcasts this morning so you have to scroll down. It's episode 8, I think.

OP
OP
kecked

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post a link to this? id very much like to listen.

U

User1

View Badges
Maybe give them an internet connection and a bookmark to por*hub??? That or maybe light a couple candles in the fish tank room with some ambient music playing in the back ground. I am thinking something is bound to happen. All jokes aside I think ours took three years give or take a couple months. We didn't really do anything - mother nature.

Edit: longest pair I've had is 9 years but I'm sure many others have older. No idea if there is such a thing has dog years to fish. Unless they are drinking adult beverages...

Bill_Moorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No advice on breeding...but my female clown is about to head to the DMV and get her first drivers license. Lol

I’ve had her for 16 years.

Edit: I suck at math. She’s 12.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may be breeding but the tiny tiny frys are tasty treats for the other fish. Like eating tiny potatoe chips

Sorry to be too graphic

Every successful clown breeding involves ONLY the pair in the tank with no other fish

OP
OP
kecked

kecked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet your right. That they had fry and I neve4 saw them. My Chromis would lunch them in short order. My pair are now 9 years old. I looked for fishhub but didn’t see any such thing.

Back