How to house hitchhiking Mantis shrimp?

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi everyone:

I recently got an unwanted 1" Mantis shrimp that hitch hiked on a piece of coraline algae. I need a temporary housing for it as i don't really have space for another >10gal tank. I did find a fish bowl (see pic) though. Wondering if i could just keep it in this with a piece of live rock/live sand and just change the water more frequently? Maybe even add an airstone to it? Currently the Mantis is in a tupperware eating frozen blood worms. I am not sure what i want to do with the Mantis yet but it maybe a temporary solution until i decide what to do with him?

aquarium pc 3.jpg

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The integrity of that bowl might not be able to even hold it very long.

You can keep it in a small 2 gallon AIO such as fluval or a sump. Never keep it in one of those plastic betta tanks I've experienced what happens.

StanD

-- zoa junkie --
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
UPS ground would get to you next day in SoCal fyi. I’ve shipped Zoas and other corals this way to save on cost.

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Sacramento so hopefully it’s not a lot! Let me know if you decide not to keep him!

OP
OP
D

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
will let you know. I guess it's really a love hat relationship with these creatures. I am not a big fan but my son seems to be interested in keeping it. However, I told him he has to be willing to do the work of feeding him. He is still thinking :)

Hadla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you set up just a 10g for it, that’s fine! And they will readily eat frozen fish food most of the time. At least mine all have

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back