How to improve coral colors

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I do want to keep the lid. I'm planning a Red Sea 350 in the future, and that will definitely have kessil!

This is my biocube build before the concrete cracked the corner pane. Pics were taken via iPhone6 so the quality is poor. If I recall, I ran them at 60 or 70% with no heating. One thing I did was put some caulking where the wires enter the biocube shield/clear plastic so no moisture gets in. I would do that with any retro kit you purchase, Steves or nanobox.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-saltwater-build.272460/

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my biocube build before the concrete cracked the corner pane. Pics were taken via iPhone6 so the quality is poor. If I recall, I ran them at 60 or 70% with no heating. One thing I did was put some caulking where the wires enter the biocube shield/clear plastic so no moisture gets in. I would do that with any retro kit you purchase, Steves or nanobox.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-saltwater-build.272460/
thanks for the tip!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime Hd has fantastic color output. I bought one for the coral frag tank. I have a radion G4 pro over the Reefer 170

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides lighting, like I suggested trace elements;). The corals need the elements to color up.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks. Don't the water changes replenish trace elements?
It depends on the salt, and how much your corals are consuming. There are programs for corals that one can dose and test for color elements. The reason I suggested mineral salts, is adding minerals to the water changes would up the trace elements without a lot of expense or over dosing. One can start with a teaspoon and see how the system reacts. If you corals are not greening up, most of the time it is due to low potassium, Iron for the reds and so on with the heavy metals.

OP
OP
LovesDogs_CatsRokay

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the mineral salts affect the salinity levels by much? Would I need to account for that and dilute with RO water? I'm just using saltwater from my LFS so I have no idea what brand of salt they use.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back