How to raise water level of Fluval mini protein skimmer?

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been turning the knobs but the water level won’t rise. Only time it worked when there was high water line. What can I do? Should I just get a new one.

IMG_3777.jpeg

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that angle you can't see it well, the little door your moving with that knob is on the other side.
When it's completely blocked it absolutely will change the water level.
Pick it up and look at the drain thing as you twist the knob to get an idea how the water gate works.
If the water level never moves then you don't have the skimmer in deep enough water.
There is a sponge in front of this normally but I took mine out because it doesn't do anything in my situation.
If you crank the air intake all the way open it will likely produce bubbles into the cup anyways.

20231029_074351.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From that angle you can't see it well, the little door your moving with that knob is on the other side.
Pick it up and look at the drain thing as you twist the knob to get an idea how the water gate works.
If the water level never moves then you don't have the skimmer in deep enough water.
There is a sponge in front of this normally but I took mine out because it doesn't do anything in my situation.
If you crank the air intake all the way open it will likely produce bubbles into the cup anyways.

20231029_074351.jpg
I’ve tried opening the airway all the way open and I check the gate that leaves the water and still no luck. I’m probably gonna get another one to be honest. But if it does the same thing I’m gonna convert the chamber into a refugium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back