How to remove wire alge?

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently discoveredthat my tank has wire alge. I got my phosphate to 0 and my nitrates were at 5 ppm now they are 0. I discovered a lot of detritus in the overflow I removed all of it . Cleaned my return pump . Everything is at 0. My main question is do I need to remove it by hand . Or of I keep the levels constant at 0 will it just die off on its own? Mind you this is a 2.5 gallon pico reef setup. So scrubbing the rocks will not take a lot of time just stress on my corals. I need to re aqua scape anyway because I just do not like the look and am running out of realestate. Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciate.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it's zero nitrates and phosphates in the water column , doesn't mean its not being absorbed faster than you can read it. In my experience , algae always stays and rarely dies , so removing it by hand is the best way to get into head start . Is it briopsis ?

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it's zero nitrates and phosphates in the water column , doesn't mean its not being absorbed faster than you can read it. In my experience , algae always stays and rarely dies , so removing it by hand is the best way to get into head start . Is it briopsis ?
It is Gelidiopsis. So just taking the live rock out and give it a good scrubbing is probably the only solution?

20161026_231232.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about spot treating with peroxide? On such a small water volume you may have to Google if that's advisable. But can you just pick it off continuously?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock can come out you can just use a peroxide soloution and scrub. Or dab a higher concentration on the algae spot.

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock can come out you can just use a peroxide soloution and scrub. Or dab a higher concentration on the algae spot.
The rock can come out . It's on multiple rocks. I first thought it was macro alge lol then it just exploded on me . It's only on spots where light hits so it's not everynwhere. And I have peroxide

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just try and scrub if it's the less invasive method before resorting to chemicals , a minute or two out if water won't hurt the corals. But you have to address the underlying issue of nutrients as these are just temporary fixes, regardless how you remove the existing algae .

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does the solution need to be on the rocks ? And does this interfere with the biological bacteria on the rock? My system is small so I don't want to cycle again my tank is over 6 months old.

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just try and scrub if it's the less invasive method before resorting to chemicals , a minute or two out if water won't hurt the corals. But you have to address the underlying issue of nutrients as these are just temporary fixes, regardless how you remove the existing algae .
I belive this was brought in on a frag plug. I have no other alge problem other than this I have so many snails that controll everything but this type. Any frags I get from now on I'm popping off the plug even if I loose the encrusted plug. So I guess I'll be scrubbing on my next waterchange

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long does the solution need to be on the rocks ? And does this interfere with the biological bacteria on the rock? My system is small so I don't want to cycle again my tank is over 6 months old.
I'm the last guy to use a concentrated chem soloution. I'm not a fan of the peroxide dosing either.
For very small alge issues I don't mind this method. In fact I actually like the peroxide for cleaning coral and plugs before they go into a tank. An alge dip. So far it works quite well. I would not dip sensitive corals in a strong solution and I was advised to not dip zoas. But I have had little problem with them.

Nutrient reduction IMO will help and can work but not in all cases IMO. IME you still need manual removal.
I'm one of the reefsquad guys and I've seen a lot in the last year on this. Also in my tanks I recently did an experiment where I wound up stripping the no and Po to undetectable amounts with macro alge.
It did kill off several types of algaes but def not all and the corals actually of course did not do well.
It's a long list of macros in my 55 and actually a long list of nuscane algae too. Most folks would faint.

So now IMO the largest thing we can do is not introduce these into the system but in these cases the choice is eradication or management. But that's the choice for the individual.

fwiw. I would leave what the op has in my tank. I've become good at management and I don't mind cool algaes in the tank. I personally just trim them or use a toothbrush occasionally. On my bryopsis too. :D

If they get out of hand I pull them and do a peroxide dip 10 mil per 2 liter. For a few min and hit it with a tooth brush. I rinse very very well.

You can use a 5 or 10 mil on a paint brush or q tip and dab the tiny spot or even full strength and do the same. It's how I clean a coral before it goes in the tank.

No it won't effect the cycle. It probably does kill some of the bacteria on the surface but not enough to stall a cycle.

I rebuilt my 30 gal this way and dipped every rock.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you get corals on frags you just paint them with regular strength peroxide? At what point does the pesticide dip go with that, I. E. Don't want to stress the corals.

So the paint brush for this poster would be to pull the rock out, just paint with peroxide and place back in tank? What's the required contact time etc...

Thanks!

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the last guy to use a concentrated chem soloution. I'm not a fan of the peroxide dosing either.
For very small alge issues I don't mind this method. In fact I actually like the peroxide for cleaning coral and plugs before they go into a tank. An alge dip. So far it works quite well. I would not dip sensitive corals in a strong solution and I was advised to not dip zoas. But I have had little problem with them.

Nutrient reduction IMO will help and can work but not in all cases IMO. IME you still need manual removal.
I'm one of the reefsquad guys and I've seen a lot in the last year on this. Also in my tanks I recently did an experiment where I wound up stripping the no and Po to undetectable amounts with macro alge.
It did kill off several types of algaes but def not all and the corals actually of course did not do well.
It's a long list of macros in my 55 and actually a long list of nuscane algae too. Most folks would faint.

So now IMO the largest thing we can do is not introduce these into the system but in these cases the choice is eradication or management. But that's the choice for the individual.

fwiw. I would leave what the op has in my tank. I've become good at management and I don't mind cool algaes in the tank. I personally just trim them or use a toothbrush occasionally. On my bryopsis too. :D

If they get out of hand I pull them and do a peroxide dip 10 mil per 2 liter. For a few min and hit it with a tooth brush. I rinse very very well.

You can use a 5 or 10 mil on a paint brush or q tip and dab the tiny spot or even full strength and do the same. It's how I clean a coral before it goes in the tank.

No it won't effect the cycle. It probably does kill some of the bacteria on the surface but not enough to stall a cycle.

Man you are a life saver. Or in my case a pico reef saver. I thought I was doing ok dipping my corals for pests but totally ignored the pest alge. Thinking the small amounts would be eaten by snails or crabs . I think in my case here I will get rid of any rocks that have the alge on it I have another 5 gal that I'm going to break down I'll use one or 2 live rocks from that tank and scrub the ones I have that have coral encrusted on it.. quick question? If I dip the live rock from my other tank in revive will that kill off any benificial bacteria? I just want to make sure that no pests are transferred. Just to be safe ?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when you get corals on frags you just paint them with regular strength peroxide? At what point does the pesticide dip go with that, I. E. Don't want to stress the corals.

So the paint brush for this poster would be to pull the rock out, just paint with peroxide and place back in tank? What's the required contact time etc...

Thanks!
Not exactly un less it's like a wire alge or something nasty do I use full strength.

And I use a very scientific measure. A little while. It's prob fifteen to 30 sec really.
When I've used it as a pest dip it's basicly till dead stuff floats up. The pods stop moving. And I don't want it in the dip for more than a true 60 sec out of paranoia.

You can actually experiment your self with some LR rubble or an unused frag plug that's been in the tank for a while. I leave some in my sump as I have seen better success putting frags on them than dry

Here's the answer nobody wants to hear QT corals. And live rock.
You can then work in stages if you really concerned. Pest dip. Iodine dip. Algae dip.
Or if like me Chems freak you out. Inrinse super super super well.
I have three 2 ltr measured containers i found at Costco. One wide shallow Tupperware.
$5 powered heads in each one. Then first is pest dip. Second is rinse w light peroxide third is low iodine fourth is rinse if I'm particularly paranoid. Like when I use Bayer. And I use the last one to inspect. Pick off stuff etc and maybe re dip in the peroxide and re rinse iniodine.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you are a life saver. Or in my case a pico reef saver. I thought I was doing ok dipping my corals for pests but totally ignored the pest alge. Thinking the small amounts would be eaten by snails or crabs . I think in my case here I will get rid of any rocks that have the alge on it I have another 5 gal that I'm going to break down I'll use one or 2 live rocks from that tank and scrub the ones I have that have coral encrusted on it.. quick question? If I dip the live rock from my other tank in revive will that kill off any benificial bacteria? I just want to make sure that no pests are transferred. Just to be safe ?
No revive is great. Google Julian sprung. He's had quite the career.
Revive is also very mild overall in low doses.
I dumped two caps full in my 55 by accident. It was for some reason not in the garage. The bottle is kinda the same flowery color as acro power.
Don't try that with Bayer

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you think about those purple lasers? If they can kill pest anemonies would they fry alge?

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol. it should burn any thing
I took out one piece of live rock with montipora on it I scrubbed and scraped. I also added full strength peroxide on a q tip on several areas let it sit for a minute or two rinsed in salt water aND replaced in tank. Today it looks like some parts of the red wire alge are turning bright red hopefully they are dying.

20161030_023440.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took out one piece of live rock with montipora on it I scrubbed and scraped. I also added full strength peroxide on a q tip on several areas let it sit for a minute or two rinsed in salt water aND replaced in tank. Today it looks like some parts of the red wire alge are turning bright red hopefully they are dying.

20161030_023440.jpg
DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!

OP
OP
BobE

BobE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel and then dip with Peroxide. That stuff is evil:mad:
That's exactly what I was thinking I have a dremel with a wire cut off disk type brush I'm going to try that. It looks like the peroxide is working somewhat. I previously used a new tooth brush which just kind of fluffed up the wire alge and in my opinion is not stiff enough and encouraged more growth where I brushed it lol. So I will try again on the same rock with the Dremel and brush it with peroxide full strength and see what happens . If no adverse effect to my corals I will take all of the rocks out and brush them and toss the ones that don't have any coral attached . I have 2 nice pieces of live rock from a 5.5 gallon I'm breaking down . I need to re aqua scape anyway I hate the look of my tank and I need to open up more realestate for my sps.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 144 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back