how to safley change your live sand in an established 60 gallon reef tank.

tjkasanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1.5 year old 60 gallon reef tank that needs to have the sand removed and replaced with a larger grained sand, because the original sand is to sandy and just blows around. I wanted to know what would be the safest way for the live stock?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1.5 year old 60 gallon reef tank that needs to have the sand removed and replaced with a larger grained sand, because the original sand is to sandy and just blows around. I wanted to know what would be the safest way for the live stock?
The main thing to avoid is removing it all at once. Just siphon out a portion at a time over a pro longed period to be safe. Adding extra bio media during this process will be a good fail safe to counteract the nitrifying bacteria you’ll lose.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i removed DT sand in one go (not adding it back in) - it had no effect on anyone or anything whatsoever. i had sugar sand - by description it is similar to yours. The tank is SPS (90%).

now the tank is bare bottom - i no longer have to contol phosphates (other than trying to keep it from falling too low)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back