How to set up an all in one (AIO) reef tank - Rea Sea Max E-Series | BRStv Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2Reefers!

We've got another video about setting up a reef tank, but this time it's with the Red Sea Max-E 170 AIO! Checkout the cool features these E-Series tanks come with including bulkheads in the rear chamber to expand the tank to a sump.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine. It's a C-130, which is the same as the 170 but has a top.

20171128_131928.jpg

SoftballReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 83.3%
5   1   0
thats awesome. i had one tgat sold as i was researching it $600 and came with apex jr and brs stage 5 rodi

Biga311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup and wanting to do a LPS & softy tank. The light settings have been a big unknown until now. Thanks for the recommended settings. Can you recommend a peak intensity duration? I'm currently running your settings with Red Sea's recommended schedule.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup and wanting to do a LPS & softy tank. The light settings have been a big unknown until now. Thanks for the recommended settings. Can you recommend a peak intensity duration? I'm currently running your settings with Red Sea's recommended schedule.

The peak intensity that comes from setting the spectrum sliders to the recommended percentages should be adequate for an LPS tank, however you can adjust your total photoperiod with ramping up and ramping down. Personally, I typically start with a total of 8-9hrs of total photoperiod, with about an hour to ramp up to those spectrum recommendations as well as an hour ramp down. From there you could always make adjustments as needed. :)

-Randy

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video, thanks guys. A couple of days ago I had made the decision to go for the reefer, but now I'm thinking to go for the Max-E 170 and add the sump down the line. This way I'll get the benefit of the extra water volume plus it won't have the surface skimmer etc sticking out into the tank.
Is there any way to add a filter sock or similar to the Max-E to help polish the water?

Newrsreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The peak intensity that comes from setting the spectrum sliders to the recommended percentages should be adequate for an LPS tank, however you can adjust your total photoperiod with ramping up and ramping down. Personally, I typically start with a total of 8-9hrs of total photoperiod, with about an hour to ramp up to those spectrum recommendations as well as an hour ramp down. From there you could always make adjustments as needed. :)

-Randy

Do you have any recommendations on the spectrums and peak for lunar schedule? In the process of cycling my E-170, which i chose from watching your videos, and wasn’t sure what is the preferred settings for lunar. Thanks in advance for any help

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any recommendations on the spectrums and peak for lunar schedule? In the process of cycling my E-170, which i chose from watching your videos, and wasn’t sure what is the preferred settings for lunar. Thanks in advance for any help

This is likely going to be dependent on your personal desire for aesthetic and visual appeal. I don't expect the lunar feature to have much of a significant impact on the tank other than looking cool. :)

Newrsreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely going to be dependent on your personal desire for aesthetic and visual appeal. I don't expect the lunar feature to have much of a significant impact on the tank other than looking cool. :)

I wasn’t referring to the lunar feature though I imagine that is completely and aesthetic feature(unless there are fish that pray to the lunar cycles?) I just meant that the Red Sea recommended lunar; ie after sunset ramp down, is a 2% Violet and Royal intensity. Would you recommend that for night time lighting, maybe a little stronger or a full darkness until sunset ramp up?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn’t referring to the lunar feature though I imagine that is completely and aesthetic feature(unless there are fish that pray to the lunar cycles?) I just meant that the Red Sea recommended lunar; ie after sunset ramp down, is a 2% Violet and Royal intensity. Would you recommend that for night time lighting, maybe a little stronger or a full darkness until sunset ramp up?

Honestly, I wouldn't say that it is necessary at all and likely serves little utilitarian purpose, but more so aesthetics. There really are a variety of successful ways to utilize these lights. After seeing a wide variety of great looking tanks, I can't say that you would find a significant benefit in coral growth/health by being concerned with nighttime lighting, other than enjoyment of your tank into those later hours.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ryan,

Can you divulge the textured ABS supplier or ABS brand used? I will use the same in one of my experimental display tanks. ABS was mentioned in this weeks video.

Thanks
Drew

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ryan,
Can you divulge the textured ABS supplier or ABS brand used? I will use the same in one of my experimental display tanks. ABS was mentioned in this weeks video.
Thanks Drew

We use a local supplier of acrylics and ABS board. Our supplier most likely doesn't ship, but similar type of places should be located in an area near you.

Also, I do believe in the next week or two we will be carrying 2'x2' sheets of the same 1/8" ABS board we used, so if that sizes fits your needs you could get it from us. :) Keep a watch on the New Product Page for when it hits.

Outside of that, here's a short video I did on what and how we used ABS in our Red Sea tanks.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back