How to take apart a glass aquarium

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that may be searching for info on how to disassemble a glass aquarium in the future, I thought I'd share my experience.

I just got done taking apart a 187 gallon (60x30x24) rimless tank and it took me all of about 5 mins from start to finish, not exaggerating.

Here's all you need to do. 1. Take off the smallest diameter string from a guitar (the high E). 2. Put on a pair of heavy duty work gloves. 3. Wrap the wire around your hands 4. Run the wire between the glass panels and it will slice through the silicone like butter. 5. Carefully pull each panel apart (I had to first push each panel forward to break the bottom seal, then pulled it outward to finally dislodge it from the bottom). Set the glass on the floor carefully.

It really is that simple and it really can be done in just 5 mins. I am so relieved that I didn't have to hire a moving crew to drag this super heavy tank out up our steep, narrow basement stairs.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info thanks! I have an Oceanic 175 gal bowfront empty at home for years. They don’t make these anymore. I have wanted to replace my 120 gal with this tank but have not trusted the deteriorating silicone for long term use. For me, the hardest part would probably be removing the black plastic frame on both top and bottom. I’ve heard others say, very hard to do without breaking it. So my idea was to carefully cut it off, discard it and then separating the glass panes. Then have it rebuilt professionally with glass eurobracing top and bottom.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1576595968458.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
putting jokes to the side. Fill tank with very warm (not hot) water and then drain. Will soften silicone. Using a sharp box cutter type of razor cut into seams ( wear GLOVES !!)
Scrape sideways to separate silicone and then wiggle panels until they separate.
To re-silicone, with a razor, scrape away ALL silicone then alcohol wipe clean and with a nice bead, use aquarium sealandtand painters tape.

wtac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice that they use spacers/braced with a gap prior to silicone application as it makes taking it apart very easy.

About 5 years ago the seam was failing within weeks on a month old a custom 300gal that was built on site. Shame we had to smash a 8' x 3'x 3/4" Starfire front panel as the glass panels were so tight that tapping in SE razor blades in the seam and spreading clamps didn't work.

OP
OP
hatfielj

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not putting it back together. It had a lot of scratches unfortunately and the original glass had flaws as well (poorly cut and polished, got it as a discounted tank new). Also, to the poster above who mentioned cutting with a razor. I did that at first and it was much more difficult and did not cut all the way through. The guitarist string was super easy and fast. It literally was like cutting through soft butter with a hot knife.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive done this too

People wont appreciate this until theve tried it the hard way with a razor blade. You slice between the panel and the razor snaps! Now a piece of blade is stuck. Try with something else and it breaks too. The razor cuts your skin too. Guitar string works.

What i used was plastic fishing line wrapped over 5 times and made a sawing motion. The benefit is youve got a spool of line to break and not just one guutar string.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back