How to take care of the macros? (beginner)

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today someone gave me the following macros:
chaeto
C. brachypus
C. racemosa (grape)
C. Mexicana

Can I just throw them in the middle chamber of my sump with some live rock rubble? Do I need to anchor any of them down or can i just throw them in and forget? The grape-looking one is very pretty. Can i put it in my display? I have a yellow tang, 2 clowns, a lemonpeel angel (rehoming soon) and a rabbitfish foxface.

Sorry for the questions, new to sw plants

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rabbit fish will chowdown on them like there is no tomorrow. I found caulerpa to attatch to stuff on its own but you can put rubble in the refugium if you so choose (I don't because it becomes a detritus trap and party city for bristle worms). Some trace element additions may be helpful down the road. I highly recommend pruning it frequently (it makes a great snack for herbivores and I found tangs, rabbit fish, and foxfaces to absolutely go nuts for the stuff.

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rabbit fish will chowdown on them like there is no tomorrow. I found caulerpa to attatch to stuff on its own but you can put rubble in the refugium if you so choose (I don't because it becomes a detritus trap and party city for bristle worms). Some trace element additions may be helpful down the road. I highly recommend pruning it frequently (it makes a great snack for herbivores and I found tangs, rabbit fish, and foxfaces to absolutely go nuts for the stuff.
Okay so it sounds like I should keep it in the sump.
I found part of what you said very interesting- i am returning to the hobby after ten years away. Back then, it was strongly encouraged to run a deep sand bed or as much rubble as possible in the sump. I always hated that because of bristleworms.
Are you saying I can put all three of these plants in the sump without any sand or rubble at all?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so it sounds like I should keep it in the sump.
I found part of what you said very interesting- i am returning to the hobby after ten years away. Back then, it was strongly encouraged to run a deep sand bed or as much rubble as possible in the sump. I always hated that because of bristleworms.
Are you saying I can put all three of these plants in the sump without any sand or rubble at all?
Yes you can have them in your refugium without sand or rubble and just allow them to tumble. Like sparetime mentioned, the rabbitfish will goggle up that macroalgae so I would only put it in your display when you are pruning it back from your refugium :)

OP
OP
Feet Pixel

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can have them in your refugium without sand or rubble and just allow them to tumble. Like sparetime mentioned, the rabbitfish will goggle up that macroalgae so I would only put it in your display when you are pruning it back from your refugium :)
thank you!

homegrowncichlid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want the plants to thrive, they would need at least 20 watts of light. I can grow any algae with 60 watts, at 15 watts, I was only growing the hair algae and a couple of other low light algae, which were not bright green enough that my tangs would want to eat.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back