How's your experience with the new Red Sea Skimmers so far?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who have one in hand, what do you think so far?

On the FB group there are some vids of it being really loud. But its marketed as being super quiet...so which is it?

If sound is an issue where is the noise mostly coming from? Air inlet?

Thought this would be a great time to upgrade my CSkim 1800 that came with my RSM 650s, but now I'm kind of nervous as a more silent skimmer is a big factor in buying a new skimmer.

I have a 600 coming in, hoping it is a good buy!

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who have one in hand, what do you think so far?

On the FB group there are some vids of it being really loud. But its marketed as being super quiet...so which is it?

If sound is an issue where is the noise mostly coming from? Air inlet?

Thought this would be a great time to upgrade my CSkim 1800 that came with my RSM 650s, but now I'm kind of nervous as a more silent skimmer is a big factor in buying a new skimmer.

I have a 600 coming in, hoping it is a good buy!

I would have to wonder what makes them loud? They use the same Sicce pumps that most skimmers use.

I saw a video and the guy said his was dead silent.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could link FB posts or vids from the red sea group, but some of the vids shown are defiantely loud.

Good to hear though that some have them silent. Wonder which ones are the majority.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well just hooked mine up and happy to report the thing is SILENT!

I got the 600 and sitting right in front of it I just barely hear it. Does not sound like a jet taking off at all like some vids showed!

Water going into the filter socks is way louder.

I was worried for a bit but glad those worries were unfounded. I wonder why the ones which showed loud videos were that way?

Cant wait for it to finish breaking in but so far impressed with the unit.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190202_172150.jpg

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it does for you. Thinking about picking one up since they’re surprisingly decently priced and I’ve had good experiences with Red Sea

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know how it does for you. Thinking about picking one up since they’re surprisingly decently priced and I’ve had good experiences with Red Sea

So far so good, I had to raise the skimmer a bit by putting two pieces of eggcrate under it. Now I am getting some pretty dark skim.

Its more quiet than anything mechanical attached to my tank.

I expected some extra vibration with it sitting on the eggcrate but nope still silent.

The manual neck cleaner is so useful and easy to use as is the long drainage tube with valve. The ability to position how the pump faces and thus where the air inlet sticks out is huge too. It allowed me to fit it perfectly in my sump.

The only negatives I have noticed is without raising it the skim was more wet than I liked. Could still be the breaking in period though, as I havent had it that long (little less than a week).

Other negative is the skim cup is hard to take off. The rubber seal at the bottom of it fits very snug in the neck and I feel paranoid about breaking it by pulling side to side to loosen it before pulling straight up. You dont need to remove the entire cup very often as you can remove the lid easily which is attached to the manual cleaner whenever you need to clean the wiper. Also the drainage tube makes it so you dont have to remove the cup at all to empty it.

I am loving this skimmer! Of course this is an upgrade to my cskim 1800 so this is a HUGE improvement from that! So far happy with it and feel its money well spent!

20190207_143505.jpg

LeprechaunReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys - I've had mine for approx 3 weeks at this point in my 525xl. My water line is right in the middle of the indicator on the skimmer, but i'm getting significant overflow and i've got the drain valve wide open allowing water to recirculate back into the tank. I'm using this in a new tank with a very low bioload, (4 fish at the moment with quite a bit more on the way as i get through batches of additions going through quarantine). Are most people raising the skimmer up to prevent this? Is my tank having such a light bioload not allowing the skimmer to break in? I don't get it!

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far so good, I had to raise the skimmer a bit by putting two pieces of eggcrate under it. Now I am getting some pretty dark skim.

Its more quiet than anything mechanical attached to my tank.

I expected some extra vibration with it sitting on the eggcrate but nope still silent.

The manual neck cleaner is so useful and easy to use as is the long drainage tube with valve. The ability to position how the pump faces and thus where the air inlet sticks out is huge too. It allowed me to fit it perfectly in my sump.

The only negatives I have noticed is without raising it the skim was more wet than I liked. Could still be the breaking in period though, as I havent had it that long (little less than a week).

Other negative is the skim cup is hard to take off. The rubber seal at the bottom of it fits very snug in the neck and I feel paranoid about breaking it by pulling side to side to loosen it before pulling straight up. You dont need to remove the entire cup very often as you can remove the lid easily which is attached to the manual cleaner whenever you need to clean the wiper. Also the drainage tube makes it so you dont have to remove the cup at all to empty it.

I am loving this skimmer! Of course this is an upgrade to my cskim 1800 so this is a HUGE improvement from that! So far happy with it and feel its money well spent!

20190207_143505.jpg
I doesn't sound very strong if you feel like it's going to break taking off the cup.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doesn't sound very strong if you feel like it's going to break taking off the cup.

Ahhh. I remember it looking like that pic when it was so new and clean lol.

Its actually a pretty solid skimmer. When it was new the cup fit very tightly into the neck and took some force to get off each time. With use it got looser and nothing ever broke. I'm still using mine today and like the skimmer alot. Its well built imo...

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys - I've had mine for approx 3 weeks at this point in my 525xl. My water line is right in the middle of the indicator on the skimmer, but i'm getting significant overflow and i've got the drain valve wide open allowing water to recirculate back into the tank. I'm using this in a new tank with a very low bioload, (4 fish at the moment with quite a bit more on the way as i get through batches of additions going through quarantine). Are most people raising the skimmer up to prevent this? Is my tank having such a light bioload not allowing the skimmer to break in? I don't get it!

Use eggcrate underneath it. maybe a few layers until it stops overflowing. As the tank and skimmer settle in you can then start removing layers of eggcrate (or leave them under) until you get skimmate at the level you want. Also if there are too many organics in the water it will overflow easily so try removing the water in the cup if it constantly overflows after raising it. You might have to do this a bunch of times and replace with fresh water mix.... or do a water change.

LeprechaunReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use eggcrate underneath it. maybe a few layers until it stops overflowing. As the tank and skimmer settle in you can then start removing layers of eggcrate (or leave them under) until you get skimmate at the level you want. Also if there are too many organics in the water it will overflow easily so try removing the water in the cup if it constantly overflows after raising it. You might have to do this a bunch of times and replace with fresh water mix.... or do a water change.
Thank you! I put two layers underneath it at lunch today. Seemed to help a little. I think i'll be good in the long term. The tank is pretty new and only has 4 small fish and the beginning of a clean up crew in it currently, so there isn't much to skim.

I appreciate your response!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 40.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back