Hydra 52 or ecotech gen 4

EchoStar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I got a 60 gal cube tank. I am wanting to get new lights because I currently have a maxspect 27in led. Which works great but does not make my corals pop. I currently have a mix reef tank with a few fish. I am running a mp10w powerhead.

I am currently looking at the hydra 52 or ecotech 30 gen 4. I have seen the hydra in person but not the ecotech.

From my understanding hydra come with wifi but cant be controlled by an apex or other controller.

While the ecotech 30 Gen4 need a reeflink and is not as user friendly.

I have saved and can afford either. My question is if you think the extra cost of the ecotech is worth it. From what I researched it looks like both lights are great systems but each have thier own drawl backs. Also if people please post some pic of thier tank with either lights so I can see what everyone is running.

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both would work fine but hydra will save you money for other items. Hydra has it’s own app so you don’t have to spend more on the reeflink/wxm.

Arcticreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need a reeflink or wxm module for the Radions. I just plug in the laptop and program mine and have twice since adjusted my settings. Always thought the greatest drawback of leds is their controllability and that people have the urge to fiddle with them. Super happy with my G4 Radions and really like the diffuser.
Would not hesitate to go for the same again.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While you don't need the reeflink it does make life easier and if you have their pumps you can also program them from the app with the Reeflink it's actually pretty cool.

MikeW9788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad I got the reeflink for my g4 radions, I also find them real user friendly on the computer, the phone app sucks

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion Can be programmed via USP cable connected to a PC, Reeflink and Apex.
I am running radions for almost 3 years and I love them I am controlling them via Apex. Check my build thread for many photos of corals under Radion.

Hydra is not bad, it has a lower price than radion, but radion beats it in intensity. SPS corals will grow and have amazing colors using both.
Controllability wise , Hydra comes wifi ready and you can control it directly from your phone , however if you want to control Radion from your mobile you will need a reef link, or you as mention before you can control it from your PC with a USP cable. another I like the radion software more than hydra.

Most likely you will program the light once and and then you may need to make few little changes, and then it will be set and forget. you will go and change the program constantly.

For Me I'll go Radion all the time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back