Hydrometer

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have this coralife hydrometer. Its seems to be all over the place. What is the best way to know what your specific gravity is? What do most people use?

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a $7.99 floating glass hydrometer for about 18 years now without any problems. The only downside IME is that they can break if your not careful, but other than that they're pretty easy to use.
FWIW my parents used to use the same thing back in the late 70's early 80's for their tank. Here it is 2017 and the design is exactly the same. This just goes to show that these things do in fact work, quite well actually.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a refractometer much more actuate
Actually not true. They measure different things, one light transmission, the other relative weights. There is correlation between the 2 of course. You can no measure specific gravity which has no units with a refractometer which has results reported as

Specific gravity as measure by a hydrometer is as accurate as you can get. The issue has to do with the both the ability of the person measuring (Note that in chemistry class, using the same materials and instruments students come up with different answers) as well as the quality of the instrument.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 56 49.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back