hydroponic tray question..

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a step drill bit for my hydroponic tray I use for a frag tank, the same type you would use to drill acrylic. Just make sure you have a rubber gasket as I had problems with mine leaking a bit since I didn't use any type of gasket for a while. Other than that it was a cheap and nice frag tank while I had it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming this tray is made of plastic.....back it with piece of scrap wood and use a regular old hole saw. And as suggested, let the bit do the drilling.

1270021489498_hz_fileserver2_925794.jpg

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Have someone hold, or clamp a solid piece of wood to back side. A fine tooth bot will cut it in seconds

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google it. Its a tray used for just that. Growing plants. Holds water and is cheap. Great for non display growout/frag tanks

zemuss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following this but it also re-sparked my love for hydroponic growing of plants. Hoping to start some of this in the summer.

OP
OP
Martin H. Lawton

Martin H. Lawton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I am starting a blog .. maybe in the future! right now im just seeing how I want to drill it. Some people are saying to use a stepper and others are saying just a regular hole saw..

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not overly familiar with steppers, short of using them on sheetmetal (cars). If your plastic is too thick, I could see the next "stepper" starting to drill before the right bit size is done drilling. I have to think the common hole saw is the way to go. That's what I use to use when putting in in-ground pools with thick plastic walls.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go nice and easy with a regular hole saw (bi metal if you have one, else just wood saw will do) and a firm backing (piece of wood as others have stated).
"Speeds and feeds" are the key.

Cheers!

peterj66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I am starting a blog .. maybe in the future! right now im just seeing how I want to drill it. Some people are saying to use a stepper and others are saying just a regular hole saw..
I drilled a 4 mm acrylic sheet today using a hole drill like the one mentioned above. No problem at all, just clean the edges with sandpaper afterwards.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just drilled it ! I'll post pictures after I build the stand which will be here in a hour

Well are you going to keep us in suspense? :eek: What bit did you use....stepper or hole?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 166 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back