I am gutted, brand new reefer G2 525 tank covered in small scratches from flipper. Looking for some advice on how to remove the scratches

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use plastic blades for glass now with the occasional metal for stubborn areas. I have had metal blades from many brands scratch glass over the years even removing the mag after use and bare bottom tanks. Some may use metal blades for years and not have issues, awesome for them, but I scratched custom miracles tanks, WB, marineland, IM…. You get the idea. Scratched with tunze, flippers, and another expensive brand I can’t remember. All the tanks were low iron glass, never had regular scratch but I have not had one of those in a long time

I tried to sand one of the miracles tanks out maybe 10 years ago. It really didn’t work well and was a ton of work. Ime just accept the scratches unless they are very light and use a plastic blade for general cleaning removing it after use.

I like the tunze plastic blades over the flippers plastic. Ime metal is just too risky since a scratch can happen for seemingly no reason you can think of and once done it’s done.

I know it’s a bummer but it happens to many people so you’re not alone.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me that people continue to use magnetic cleaners. I learned my lesson on my first tank with a mag float. Destroyed the tank with scratches. This is what I use.
Screen Shot 2023-02-05 at 3.20.54 PM.png

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my wife are already discussing replacing the tank if we can't polish them out

Anywho, I think we will attempt to polish it. If it doesn't work, we will replace the tank.
Go ahead and order your new ACRYLIC tank… acrylic scratches can be repaired, glass scratches are forever!

For people using metal/razor blades, I used my Dremel with the sander bit and round off the 90* corners, much less chance of scratching the tank.

stevexapar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I need the positivity right now. I will do a test on another piece of glass (if I can replicate the scratches) before emptying the tank.

I'm 100% sure they're on the inside. When I move my head I can see the separation between the scratches and a smudge on the outside.

Unfortunately the scratches are already all over the glass so couldn't really be any worse :crying-face:. Me and my wife are already discussing replacing the tank if we can't polish them out. The photo/video doesn't really demonstrate just how bad they are lol :(

Added some more pics. They cover the entire glass but you can only see them below the light. They move as you move across the tank and obscure the view into the tank from pretty much all angles. The scratches are wide and soft, not like a single piece of sand was caught in the blade, but rather a whole dusting of fine sand going across the blade.

Anywho, I think we will attempt to polish it. If it doesn't work, we will replace the tank. Maybe I can convince my wife to agree to a bigger one.

I will update this thread with the results.
20230130_152131.jpg
20230130_152237.jpg

Hey,
my new Reefer G2 350 seems to have the same issue with the front glass. Can you please tell me, if you fixed the problem? Have you replaced your tank in the end?
Please answer
regards
Damon

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I just noticed our new tank (~3 months old Red Sea Reefer G2 525) suddenly has all these scratches on the inside of the front glass. The strange thing is, I always clean the sides & front at the same time, only the front is scratched and I always avoid the sand. Looking back on photos, it would seem the scratches suddenly appears 3 days ago. We use a Flipper edge with metal blades, always on the metal side. I don't know how this has suddenly happened, but looking closely at the scratches, they seem to be very light and I can't feel them. Maybe Red Sea use a cheap glass for the front that is easily scratched?!

I plan on getting some plastic holding tanks and moving the livestock/rock into them with heaters so we can spend the whole day polishing the glass with Cerium Oxide and a orbital sander.

Anyone here had the same thing happen to them, and can offer some advice or ideas?

The Flipper is in the bin and we will be using a Tunze plastic scraper going forward. I feel like a moron that I'm having to learn this the hard way.

Trying to upload a video. Thanks.

20230130_095254.jpg

Best of luck with your project. Things don't work out, give us a call.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch the tank a bit more and you will stop careing about it.. not that i ever scratched my Reefer 425 - but i dont even clean side glass nowadays and certainly dont remove coralline near edges - this gives it authentic reef look..

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been using the Tunze long for 2 years. Not a single scratch. If you look the inside portion rides on the blades so the actual magnet doesn't even touch the glass.

The outside rides on the plastic retainers and a felt pad. If kept clean it will not scratch your glass.

Been using the Tunze Care Magnet Strong 0220.020 since 2018. Not a single scratch on the outside of my "starfire" glass. I've got a couple on the inside but they're small. As others have alluded to, I'm more than happy with only a couple after so many years of use. I store it with a microfiber towel folded up between the two halves. Between switching glass panes or when I get close to my sand bed, I take it up the side and simply wipe the blades' edge off with a towel. I didn't want scrubbers for fear of sand getting lodged in. I wipe off the dry side here and there but never have had an issue. Just my 2 cents from experience, I definitely would recommend the unit.

EDIT: I use the plastic blades if that wasn't clear. Like others, metal gives me pause. I use a metal blade on a stubby hand held Continuum Aquatics AquaBlade maybe once a year to go at stubborn areas and clean up my corners close to (but not all the way to) the silicone.

I see some advocating for wand, handheld scrubbers only. My caution there is the visibility when using those can be less than desirable. Unless you have like a 12in tall tank, having to look into the tank from the outside while reaching in, its easy to get a little too over zealous with the scraping and either tilt the scraper or get too close to the silicone. At least for me. I'm sure it gets easier with practice but every time I even get close to hitting that silicone, usually on accident, I have anxiety for the next few days about what I've done. lol.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back