I am thinking of using an inflatable kiddie pool for my salt water mixing.

Trsimo5348

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am extremely new to my hobby. By that I mean this is my first tank ever. I have spent the last 8 months researching the hobby and became more and more fascinated by the fact that is a combination of art, science, literally building and biome, and on top of that getting a bunch of really cool and interesting pets. Though I know there is much more for me to learn, my friend who has done the hobby for a while convinced me the only way I am going to learn is to just attempt. I bought a 125 tank, with about a 40 to maybe 35-gallon sump, a protein skimmer, etc. I am running vinegar and water through it at the moment, as I bought it all together used, and now I am cleaning it. I got my live rock formation glued together and ready to go, etc etc. to get to the point.

I bought a ro di system, which my friend helped me set up to my garden hose in my back yard for now, I rent my house so can't be drilling holes in pipes. lol We were trying to figure out if it was safe to take a cheap inflatable pool to run the ro di system to make the salt mix. is they safe for the water or will they contaminate it with toxins?

To give an idea of what we are considering here is a link from the one we were looking at on Amazon :

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see the link. For the fill put the RODI into the tank & sump and add salt, slowly until the new ocean is made.

Mixing in a 5 gallon bucket, or a 55 gallon drum, or a brute trash can is easier to store since you can put a lid over it. Otherwise, a hard sided kiddie pool(?) might last awhile and you can use it in summer in Phoenix when the weather gets warm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't see the link. For the fill but the RODI into the tank & sump and add salt, slowly until the new ocean is made.

Mixing in a 5 gallon bucket, or a 55 gallon drum, or a brute trash can is easier to store since you can put a lid over it. Otherwise, a hard sided kiddie pool(?) might last awhile and you can use it in summer in Phoenix when the weather gets warm.
Yup, I have 2 30 gallon Rubbermaid trash bins. 1) for rodi and ato
2) saltwater mixing station/awc. From there I can pump into a 5 gallon bucket if I need to do a more serious water change.

30 gallon should give you 25 gallon fill capacity.

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend brute trash cans as well
But in fairness to the OP, a kiddie pool is more fun to have around than a Brute can. Have you ever tried to swim and play inside of a Brute?

Remember they are posting from Phoenix, the hottest spot north of Hades and a kiddie pool might be useful for dual purposes.
James Stewart Swimming GIF by GritTV
:cool:

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But in fairness to the OP, a kiddie pool is more fun to have around than a Brute can. Have you ever tried to swim and play inside of a Brute?

Remember they are posting from Phoenix, the hottest spot north of Hades and a kiddie pool might be useful for dual purposes.

When I was in high school, my brother and I netted a ton of baby bullheads in a nearby stream. I got them a kiddie pool, and was off to the races. Some I still had years later in an aquarium in my bedroom. Loved those cute little guys.

Upvote 0

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem with a kiddie pool is the amount of surface area of the water. It's going to take a very large pump or power head to get the salt thoroughly mixed. Likes others mention you should invest into 1 or 2 of the brute trash cans as you can use these for water changes later on. If you dont want to at the moment you can just run your RODI line to the tank to fill and then mix your water.

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in high school, my brother and I netted a ton of baby bullheads in a nearby stream. I got them a kiddie pool, and was off to the races. Some I still had years later in an aquarium in my bedroom. Loved those cute little guys.
Years later ... cool

We used to sneak onto the golf course in the evening and catch crawdads (crayfish) for our kiddie pool. We always let them go the next weekend, though.

Babies would often be hanging onto female's swimmerets and go swimming all over when we dropped them in so some of those probably never made it back home but,,, whatcha gonna do? Kids...

sorry for the tangent there

Upvote 0

musaabi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Free heating!

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back