I can’t believe I’m asking this question so early regarding Banggai Cardinalfish .

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my male is carrying eggs. Cause I found his jaw to be way bigger than before and recently he was avoiding eating. I didn’t want them to be breeding so quickly, now I have no clue what to do the female one is feeding fine and they both are swimming near the sand band. Any advice would be appreciated. Tank is only 4 months old and I have these cardinals for only 3 months.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can leave him and try to catch the fry.
You can pull him.
You can pull him and try to get him to realest the eggs for tumbling.

many times the male will swallow too early or the female will make him spit them out and eat them.

If he stays in the tank and if you catch the babies they will eat baby brine shrimp.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a second breeder tank. All of this was unexpected for me, but I do have a small breeder net that I can place it in the tank and move the male inside and keep him there till the eggs hatch.

Upvote 0

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would say if your not prepared for the eggs just leave him alone and let the parents do what parents do. Either raise the babies (they are mouthbrooders) and they will spit out miniature banggai or they will eat the eggs. If you want to try your hand at raising them I say set up a second tank or have one ready for when he starts holding again and you can transfer him and let them hatch out in that tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danroo

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He ate the eggs in a single day. Maybe I mistook his mouth of reserving energy to holding eggs no idea. There was a heater issue for a week. Where all my fishes were reserving energy cause of uncontrollable temperatures.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back