I can't trust my apex probes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple days ago several of my probes went crazy. Nothing has changed in my tank, there is no reason for anything to be out of normal parameters. I have tested salinity and temp, they are both normal. These probes aren't even 3 months old!
Screenshot_20190904-204749_Apex Fusion.jpg
Screenshot_20190904-204811_Apex Fusion.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the crazy probes? A 1ppt salinity change isn’t crazy. Nor is a 2 degree temperature variation across multiple days. Figure out what caused it :)

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probes are in the same spot they always have been, a small chamber in my sump just before the skimmer. I agree that the changes aren't huge but my temp has ways been within .5 degree and my salinity had always been with .1 unless the probe went low like they do on occasion. I've never had the salinity probe read high for no apparent reason like this. I'm going to take them all out and clean them tomorrow, maybe that will help?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probes are in the same spot they always have been, a small chamber in my sump just before the skimmer. I agree that the changes aren't huge but my temp has ways been within .5 degree and my salinity had always been with .1 unless the probe went low like they do on occasion. I've never had the salinity probe read high for no apparent reason like this. I'm going to take them all out and clean them tomorrow, maybe that will help?

"For no apparent reason" is the most important part. Who knows? It could be that the room was slightly hotter or colder that day, etc. Or the conductivity of the tank might read differently if a pump was jammed and causing interference. There are many factors in probe readings, I think you should confirm that they are reading wrong before diagnosing them as crazy.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested salinity and temp, they are both normal.

What's that mean in comparison to the data from the probes? Like you tested with a calibrated thermometer and it was X* while the Apex was Y*, same with salinity.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's that mean in comparison to the data from the probes? Like you tested with a calibrated thermometer and it was X* while the Apex was Y*, same with salinity.
That is correct, refractometer reads 35 and thermometer reads 77.6 when Apex was reading 36 and 80.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"For no apparent reason" is the most important part. Who knows? It could be that the room was slightly hotter or colder that day, etc. Or the conductivity of the tank might read differently if a pump was jammed and causing interference. There are many factors in probe readings, I think you should confirm that they are reading wrong before diagnosing them as crazy.
I did confirm.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had nothing but issues with Neptune and pH but temp doesn't seem like a big deal. Readings seem fine. (It is summertime afterall)

And you shouldn't be wasting your time with the salinity probe in the first place. It belongs in the garbage. NEVER trust it.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_20190904-001750_Samsung Internet.jpg

I use an extra probe just for maintenance. At the moment it's in my saltwater mixing bin. It's funny because in there, the sg will never change while salt is mixing. Just goes to show any electrical interference can mess with your readings, especially submerged in your reef. I wouldn't worry, the temperature swing looks like it got hot the other day.

The top probe is in my display, I can assure you my sg is not that high. It's the one probe that's not worth breaking you back about. Regardless of what company it came from

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had nothing but issues with Neptune and pH but temp doesn't seem like a big deal. Readings seem fine. (It is summertime afterall)

And you shouldn't be wasting your time with the salinity probe in the first place. It belongs in the garbage. NEVER trust it.
My salinity probe is spot on; comparing to 2 others testing methods. Always has been. Calibrate it 2x a year. It’s sensitive to how it’s routed if near other power sources, and sensitive to bubbles, but garbage? No, that’s not accurate at all.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity probe is spot on; comparing to 2 others testing methods. Always has been. Calibrate it 2x a year. It’s sensitive to how it’s routed if near other power sources, and sensitive to bubbles, but garbage? No, that’s not accurate at all.
This has always been the case for mine too. It stayed pretty much on point unless bubbles got in to it and then it would read low.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has always been the case for mine too. It stayed pretty much on point unless bubbles got in to it and then it would read low.

You are both in the minority. Full stop.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back