I did a complete numb nut newb thing and bought corals. I don't know what they are.

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so excited that my reef tank parameters showed a cycle and my LFS gave me a green light to buy corals. I picked out species really nice in LFS coral racks and now forgot the names of the species I purchased. I wanted to get really large ones, but LFS told me I wasn't ready. I denied a receipt when leaving knowing I'm in LFS database. they also sold me a bottle of Ammo Lock which I followed the instructions and soaked before I put them in tank. Darn I forget the names of what I brought home. Can you help me identify what I have? I know it's complete numb nut thing but I think I was overly excited to be getting some corals finally that I took less notice of the actual or remembering to remember the actual species names. The one that kinda looks like a mushroom i'm not sure looks as nice in my aquarium as it did at LFS.
my two Nemo have been doing great for the last week. So I also bought a firefish and a Gobi. Quite interesting fish but they're not like my clowns and they make themselves quite scarce.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes well the clown live in them. What can I say. Decor will harm coral?
Yes and I wouldnt put any plastic stuff like that in a reef tank. Popular in freshwater but not saltwater. Might have chemicals and coatings that interact different with saltwater chemistry vs fresh. Just some blurbs Ive read here and there when I wanted to set my saltwater up coming from freshwater

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Per @Jay Hemdal, "I've only seen two issues with "plastic" plants - some for freshwater or decorative uses, have bendable metal cores. Then, some "silk" plants for decorative use have been coated in flame retardants. I presume those could be toxic".

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per @Jay Hemdal, "I've only seen two issues with "plastic" plants - some for freshwater or decorative uses, have bendable metal cores. Then, some "silk" plants for decorative use have been coated in flame retardants. I presume those could be toxic".
Yes I think I saw that article when I first started researching!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so excited that my reef tank parameters showed a cycle and my LFS gave me a green light to buy corals. I picked out species really nice in LFS coral racks and now forgot the names of the species I purchased. I wanted to get really large ones, but LFS told me I wasn't ready. I denied a receipt when leaving knowing I'm in LFS database. they also sold me a bottle of Ammo Lock which I followed the instructions and soaked before I put them in tank. Darn I forget the names of what I brought home. Can you help me identify what I have? I know it's complete numb nut thing but I think I was overly excited to be getting some corals finally that I took less notice of the actual or remembering to remember the actual species names. The one that kinda looks like a mushroom i'm not sure looks as nice in my aquarium as it did at LFS.
my two Nemo have been doing great for the last week. So I also bought a firefish and a Gobi. Quite interesting fish but they're not like my clowns and they make themselves quite scarce.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

1. Find a new LFS - this one is no good.
2. You have too many fish for that size tank.
3. Coral need light - lose the fake freshwater plants

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Find a new LFS - this one is no good.
2. You have too many fish for that size tank.
3. Coral need light - lose the fake freshwater plans
I have an abundance of LED light available. I don't think the corals are being shaded by the decor and if they were, I could move them. I do not have too many fish for the size tank. I have 41 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump a protein skimmer,and a reef mat, plus a charcoal filter . I have two small fish, a fire fish , gobi plus two juv clowns. I've seen many many many more fish in tanks the size I have.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an abundance of LED light available. I don't think the corals are being shaded by the decor and if they were, I could move them. I do not have too many fish for the size tank. I have 41 gallon tank with a 10 gallon sump a protein skimmer,and a reef mat, plus a charcoal filter . I have two small fish, a fire fish , gobi plus two juv clowns. I've seen many many many more fish in tanks the size I have.
I don't understand why folks come here asking for advice and then ignore it.

If you know best, go do your own thing.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand why folks come here asking for advice and then ignore it.

If you know best, go do your own thing.
Exactly!

Those fake plants will also be huge algea growers too. If OP has an LFS encouraging him to add fake plants and decor, op needs to find somewhere else. Op I have a 125 fresh, 10 fresh, 40GB and 13.5 Evo Saltwater
...been in Freshwater for over 20 years, salt 2.5....iykyk....

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am grateful that you folks were able to ID my coral though this thread got turned into something different very quickly. in the last six weeks since I've been started reefing I usually find 1000 different answers to one question so opinions on having too many fish just not accepted. I have four small fish how in anyway could that be too large for a 41 tank? excuse me guys for wanting a little bit more than bare rock so I put some decor in my tank. Oh my God reef sacrilege. The reef gods are going to strike me down.

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a zoanthid, xenia, hammer and toadstool. Not sure why you got ammo lock if you’re cycled. You’re gonna wanna consistently test some parameters if you want those frags to get any bigger

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back