I injured my sea urchin :(

anon3674466

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding it today and it was feeding by a rock. While trying to move it away from the rock to get the excess food away, I apparently didn't realize it's grip and accidentally used too much pressure causing one of it's spines to snap.

Is this injury fatal? It's acting totally different now, barely moving and while before it had no interest in the unused shells strewn about the tank, it's now covered itself with like 4 of them and is just sitting there.

I thought I'd killed it and went to remove it as it wasn't moving at all, but after getting some of the shells off it, it started moving again to reattach the shells to itself.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing a spine is no big deal. But don't try moving your urchin again (or taking its shells). The less you can touch things in your tank the better

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of urchin is it? urchins like Tuxedos always cover themselves with things. If it wants to cover itself in shells and stuff don't remove them.

OP
OP
A

anon3674466

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of urchin is it? urchins like Tuxedos always cover themselves with things. If it wants to cover itself in shells and stuff don't remove them.

I guess I’m sure. It’s not a tuxedo. I’ve had it for a couple weeks now and this is a) the first time it’s expressed interest in the shells and b) also the first time it just isn’t moving.

I only removed the shells as I thought it was dead.

I attached an image here.

It hasn’t moved from this corner since it happened.

3BE68949-CADF-47AB-89ED-7734721BB625.jpeg

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s trying to hide from you under the shells. he should be fine (why are urchins always a “he” in my head?), but don’t mess with him just let him be. Urchins pick up And carry things to try and camouflage themselves, so he’s in hiding mode right now.

bradyrollie4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My puffer took some needles and tentacles off my urchin. Now he’s hiding under a rock for the last few days. He recovering?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he starts dropping all of his spines rapidly then worry! But one is fine. He was apparently offended you took his shell hats off! Lol

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 169 73.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 26 11.3%

Back