I just discovered I have high tds water in tank and have huge frag order coming tomorrow Help

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do for a quick fix, like seachem prime that removes chlorine I believe. I came home from a 3 day trip and discoverd it was on at a slow trickle but even worse is I checked one 5 gallon jug that I thought had 0 tds and it was high so it happed b4 the trip! I have been topping off with it and maybe evEn the last Wc 2 was bad!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do for a quick fix, like seachem prime that removes chlorine I believe. I came home from a 3 day trip and discoverd it was on at a slow trickle but even worse is I checked one 5 gallon jug that I thought had 0 tds and it was high so it happed b4 the trip! I have been topping off with it and maybe evEn the last Wc 2 was bad!
How high are we actually talking and for what it’s worth you could go to the local fish store and get zero TDS water and do a water change before you put your new frags in the tank

OP
OP
nano reef

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high are we actually talking and for what it’s worth you could go to the local fish store and get zero TDS water and do a water change before you put your new frags in the tank
Thanks! I accidentally sent that to soon so I made a new thred! Funny thing Is that short paragraph basically said it all! LOL. I do plan on getting more water tomorrow. But how much can I safely take out? I also filled a frag tank with the bad water and sure hate to start over! Its almost done cycling!

My house water is something like 520 ppm and my tanks are saying 7600 and one is 8500. How can that be? Are you only supposed to check without the salt? I wonder if that is adding TDS? I just drizzled the water over the probes and now I realize how dumb that was but who would think a month and a hlf old rodi would already be bad with 2 small tanks?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I accidentally sent that to soon so I made a new thred! Funny thing Is that short paragraph basically said it all! LOL. I do plan on getting more water tomorrow. But how much can I safely take out? I also filled a frag tank with the bad water and sure hate to start over! Its almost done cycling!

My house water is something like 520 ppm and my tanks are saying 7600 and one is 8500. How can that be? Are you only supposed to check without the salt? I wonder if that is adding TDS? I just drizzled the water over the probes and now I realize how dumb that was but who would think a month and a hlf old rodi would already be bad with 2 small tanks?
OK so for what it’s worth you do not measure TDS in a fish tank you will only measure the TDS of an RODI water

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TDS stands for total dissolved solids. Salt is a solid and therefore TDS will always be super high in saltwater.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back