I just used a dremel for the first time today

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel, you waste no time getting you post count up. Weren't you at 6 posts 3 days ago.

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you really think that it would take us long??? lol

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mel, you waste no time getting you post count up. Weren't you at 6 posts 3 days ago.

Yeah but seriously...Randy's already at five-friggin'-hundred.

I'm such a noob on here.

...as if your post count has anything at all to do with how much you know!

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to up my useless post count. I am lagging a little. We need to start a few political threads... :D

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to start a political thread... :)

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote for evolution or something science related. I know nothing about politics and thus will not be able to increase my post count.

Mel, I love your little quote. Didn't know that I was either that disliked or that ... whatever.

OP
OP
macclellan

macclellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't get trolled into another "evolution versus creation debate." Posting in a reef club forum is not really the venue for this. If someone else wants to carry that torch, so be it, but I just don't have the time or patience to go through all that again. Instead, I'll post one last bit about the "evolution versus creation debate," as I see it:

It is pretty clear that the overwhelming majority of people who do not accept evolution do so because 1). they don't understand it, and 2). they have a prior commitment to a religious belief which they take to preclude the truth of evolution.

1). This is best addressed by reading the voluminous literature on the subject, including the overwhelming evidence in its favor, replies to the most common understandings, and refutations of the (so-called) Intelligent Design arguments. It is hard to find a better supported scientific theory than evolution. I don't want to single out any particular Christian denominations, but lets just say that many of the more popular ones in the U.S. are averse to evolution, and many of their adherents actively and knowingly promulgate misinformation on the topic. It is no coincidence that the the U.S. is second-to-last of all developed countries in belief of evolution, topped only by Turkey (link).

2). No amount of discussion will change most people's mind if it is already against evolution, since by definition, prior commitments will not be subject to reflection, but everything else evaluated in light of them. Here, it must be said that construing things as "evolution or creation" is a false and pernicious dichotomy. It is possible to believe in both, something which few Americans seem to consider. The Pope has even gone so far as to say that the evolution versus creation clash is an absurdity, and that evolution can coexist with faith (link). As a wise philosopher I know says, "If you're going to be a Christian, then choose your denomination carefully."

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't get trolled into another "evolution versus creation debate." Posting in a reef club forum is not really the venue for this. If someone else wants to carry that torch, so be it, but I just don't have the time or patience to go through all that again. Instead, I'll post one last bit about the "evolution versus creation debate," as I see it:

It is pretty clear that the overwhelming majority of people who do not accept evolution do so because 1). they don't understand it, and 2). they have a prior commitment to a religious belief which they take to preclude the truth of evolution.

1). This is best addressed by reading the voluminous literature on the subject, including the overwhelming evidence in its favor, replies to the most common understandings, and refutations of the (so-called) Intelligent Design arguments. It is hard to find a better supported scientific theory than evolution. I don't want to single out any particular Christian denominations, but lets just say that many of the more popular ones in the U.S. are averse to evolution, and many of their adherents actively and knowingly promulgate misinformation on the topic. It is no coincidence that the the U.S. is second-to-last of all developed countries in belief of evolution, topped only by Turkey (link).

2). No amount of discussion will change most people's mind if it is already against evolution, since by definition, prior commitments will not be subject to reflection, but everything else evaluated in light of them. Here, it must be said that construing things as "evolution or creation" is a false and pernicious dichotomy. It is possible to believe in both, something which few Americans seem to consider. The Pope has even gone so far as to say that the evolution versus creation clash is an absurdity, and that evolution can coexist with faith (link). As a wise philosopher I know says, "If you're going to be a Christian, then choose your denomination carefully."

Dang. A few sentences in, a dissertation out. :haha: Let's try again:

I was an atheist (okay, okay - agnostic - atheism doesn't exist) when I decided that the evolution being taught in school was a bunch of carp. My present faith reenforces what I already believed. Sorry I don't fit into your tiny bucket of two options.

Last edited:
Back