I know about the “ugly” stage of cycling but this is ridiculous.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
My 40g got T5 lights last month after being up a year without lights. I knew I’d get algae and diatoms but not this much. Parameters are fine. Nitrates slightly above 0 and Phosphates 0. When is this going to end??? The hair algae on the rocks is light brown and some on the sand is green. Tank inhabitants are all fine but boy is the tank ugly! Any thoughts?
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of reefing says that's ok, wait longer.

1% has a twelve page thread on never ever letting that occur in a cycle :) we're not in good ratio harmony yet for that not to have occurred

if that was my tank, all rocks are reset/cleaned back to normal, sand top layer pulled/rinsed and put back/hand gardening first round all set. Id use peroxide on the rock portion, that tank already has plenty bacteria to boot.

the algae takes longer to grow than the nitrifers do. its technically a ready reef now, we can either choose to let nature and CUC choose when its non eutrophic or we can command that ourselves as needed, I like to collect works where people disassembly clean their tanks and keep em sharp at all times-- till balances take over and work lessens. there hasn't been the right kind of guiding work on your tank

Im 1000% against any uglies phase in reefing, none of the 99% recommending it ever have to stick around to see tanks through to complete restoration.

we know that when opting to start a system with no coralline rock, no bio rejecting surfaces, that algae is coming regardless of params. bright white lighting reflecting everywhere fuels more algae, there's no purple yet.

purple surfaces are algae excluding by their design...we have to hand garden to get it to that phase. Its why Ill only reef w live rock still/old school, I don't have patience to hand guide bare rock

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
99% of reefing says that's ok, wait longer.

1% has a twelve page thread on never ever letting that occur in a cycle :) we're not in good ratio harmony yet for that not to have occurred

if that was my tank, all rocks are reset/cleaned back to normal, sand top layer pulled/rinsed and put back/hand gardening first round all set. Id use peroxide on the rock portion, that tank already has plenty bacteria to boot.

the algae takes longer to grow than the nitrifers do. its technically a ready reef now, we can either choose to let nature and CUC choose when its non eutrophic or we can command that ourselves as needed, I like to collect works where people disassembly clean their tanks and keep em sharp at all times, till balances take over and work lessens.

Im 1000% against any uglies phase in reefing, none of the 99% recommending it ever have to stick around to see tanks through to complete restoration. they just advise then disappear

we know that when opting to start a system with no coralline rock, no bio rejecting surfaces, that algae is coming regardless of params. bright white lighting reflecting everywhere fuels more algae, there's no purple yet

purple surfaces are algae excluding by their design...we have to hand garden to get it to that phase. Its why Ill only reef w live rock still/old school, I don't have patience to hand guide bare rock setups.
I have some coralline under there somewhere. Will the hair algae go away on its own if I just leave it? I don’t want to take out the rocks and clean them. The tank has been stable for a while and I don’t want to do anything drastic. I started with dry quarried rock and dry aragonite sand. Will it eventually die off? I’d prefer to let it run its course if at all possible.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, It’s chrystophytes.

Commonly seen in nutrient limited tanks. Po4 , most commonly.

@reeferfoxx , do you have that great Chrysto cure thread bookmarked by chance?
Oh, I’ve never heard of that. Is it bad? Is it normal?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is fully ok to leave it in place and see what may suppress or consume it, that's the commoner way by a large margin for sure. GHA comes and goes in some tanks, never comes in others, and never goes in others, its a big mix unless we're frankly making it not occur by action of hand and medicine cabinet

ID of organism doesn't matter in my approach, the ID consists of this: do you like whats in your tank, if so, keep it. If you don't, rip it out and kill it so it doesn't take over. We don't tussle with nutrients, or ID in my threads. we only churn out clean pics

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s becoming almost as common as Dino’s , the cause is the same basically. Nutrient limitation.
Some organisms need very little Po4. More than the good bacteria and other beneficial organisms.

So your bio filter is kinda shut down .

The usual treatment is manual removal , Po4 dosing and bacterial supplements.

Bio diversity can help once the levels are closer to a norm.
Im a Fiji mud (not miracle), advocate Myself. Or Garf grunge or both.
It’s one of the methods we used to fix the Revs tank from Dino’s.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is fully ok to leave it in place and see what may suppress or consume it, that's the commoner way by a large margin for sure. GHA comes and goes in some tanks, never comes in others, and never goes in others, its a big mix unless we're frankly making it not occur by action of hand and medicine cabinet

ID of organism doesn't matter in my approach, the ID consists of this: do you like whats in your tank, if so, keep it. If you don't, rip it out and kill it so it doesn't take over. We don't tussle with nutrients, or ID in my threads. we only churn out clean pics for those who demand it.
Agreed. Oddly though , it flourishes cuz it out competes the good bacteria.
It’s counter intuitive, but flooding it with food is the cure to promote bacteria that’s starving out

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok then, hit this tank with a bunch of feed and don't export it :) Ill watch for the invader to die off.
Hahah. Right!
Dana Riddle our fav lighting guy was a waste water engineer in Hawaii. He said he got called in a few gigs where the lagoons n outlets got clogged with stuff like this.

Pretty common I guess in fresh water streams and ponds too.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is spewing out black gunk. And this is because my nutrients got too low? Are my fish going to be ok? Now I’m freaking out.

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is spewing out black gunk. And this is because my nutrients got too low? Are my fish going to be ok? Now I’m freaking out.

Put the panic button away. We tend to cause more problems when we panic and start making a bunch of changes. And believe me I have learned that the hard way....a couple times.

That being said I dont have experience with this particular issue. Theres a couple good suggestions to try in previous posts before you adopt a scorched earth policy. ;)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the panic button away. We tend to cause more problems when we panic and start making a bunch of changes. And believe me I have learned that the hard way....a couple times.

That being said I dont have experience with this particular issue. Theres a couple good suggestions to try in previous posts before you adopt a scorched earth policy. ;)
Thanks. I share your sentiment. If it will go away on its own I’d rather do that. I wasn’t able to brush it off with a toothbrush. I totally agree that the less drastic measure the better.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need nitrates and phosphates to get rid of it???
Yes. But the fish make nitrates all day long.

Don’t freak.
You’re on Reef2Reef.

We’ve done this more than once.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. But the fish make nitrates all day long.

Don’t freak.
You’re on Reef2Reef.

We’ve done this more than once.
So what do I do? I pulled out the gfo, stopped Nopox and am feeding a lot. Anything else or just wait it out?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s kinda the same nutrient treatment as they do for Dino’s.
You can feed more , add bacteria, manual removal. (That’s scrubbing, peroxide in some cases , fluconazole ive seen etc ) to kill it , And wait it out. Kinda have to be diligent to that end.

Some will dose Po4 and do basically the same thing. Seems to be a bit faster.

If it wasn’t clear before , your trying to kill off the nasty stuff , and promote the growth of good bacterias and other organisms. Eventually by both competition and in the case of the Fiji mud / Garf grunge , aleipathy it’s been theorized to a small extent.
Both actually give your tank diverse corralines diatoms and other such lovely tiny tiny things.

Even cycno would be considered better in fact.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s kinda the same nutrient treatment as they do for Dino’s.
You can feed more , add bacteria, manual removal. (That’s scrubbing, peroxide in some cases , fluconazole ive seen etc ) to kill it , And wait it out. Kinda have to be diligent to that end.

Some will dose Po4 and do basically the same thing. Seems to be a bit faster.

If it wasn’t clear before , your trying to kill off the nasty stuff , and promote the growth of good bacterias and other organisms. Eventually by both competition and in the case of the Fiji mud / Garf grunge , aleipathy it’s been theorized to a small extent.
Both actually give your tank diverse corralines diatoms and other such lovely tiny tiny things.

Even cycno would be considered better in fact.
Ok so I’ll feed like crazy and buy some Dr. Tim’s. I tried removing it with a toothbrush but it’s pesky stuff.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back