I lost a couple newly cut frags of zoas in the past couple of weeks. How do I prevent this going forward?

dtruitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past couple of weeks, I've lost two frags of utter chaos that I recently cut. I missed with my cutters and sliced a polyp in half, so each of the two frags had a half a polyp rotting away.

I dont iodine dip new zoa frags.

Going forward, should I slice off mangled polyps and dip in iodine to prevent this sort of loss? Is there anything else I may want to do to minimize chances of losing frags?

All zoas in the tank are otherwise growing and in good shape, except two polyps of Super Saiyan and a polyp of ******* that is annoyed I cut off his buddy.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For best results don’t slice the polyp just try and get some rock or whatever is underneath the polyp... if you do slice the polyp after gluing it to a frag plug just dip in iodine.... night glue and iodine are anti bacterial s and help keep bacteria off the polyp it’s especially beneficial to do this when you cut the polyp in half like thats...

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For best results don’t slice the polyp just try and get some rock or whatever is underneath the polyp... if you do slice the polyp after gluing it to a frag plug just dip in iodine.... night glue and iodine are anti bacterial s and help keep bacteria off the polyp it’s especially beneficial to do this when you cut the polyp in half like thats...

even if you get rock don't you have to cut into the stalk (or whatever the long slimy thing is called) since all polyps are connected?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if you get rock don't you have to cut into the stalk (or whatever the long slimy thing is called) since all polyps are connected?
Just because they’re connected doesn’t mean they’re all one organism each poly is it’s own organism, the matting in between serves as a way to communicate and share nutrients... it’s different if you cut the tissue connecting two or more polyps together vs if you cut the actual polyp animal in half...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back