I may have not thought this through... Sea clear tank shortening and bracing questions

Ayrity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a sea clear tank that is 24w x 24h x 13d. I am using it as another sump tank to add into my system, I won't get into it now but just think of it as another water volume tank. Anyway, I have very specific measurements for a tank, 24w x 13d or 14d x 21h, pretty close! So I thought I would order this acrylic tank, and chop the top off from 24" to 21" and be done. Well imagine my surprise when the tank came with the top almost entirely sealed with another sheet of acrylic! I didn't take a picture, but it is really similar to this pic I attached here.

The tank will only be filled up to about 18 or 19" but that's still a lot of water (that's the point!) but I kind of thought I could just run it over my tablesaw with a high number of teeth blade and make the box shorter. Now I'm worried that it won't be stable if I do that, but otherwise it won't fit... Can I cut those 3 inches off and not worry about it? Should I just put a clamp on it permanently? Should I try to glue/weld some new acrylic around the rim to make my own eurobracing? Should I bring it to a glass cutting place? I am going to try calling sea clear and ask them, but I wanted some opinions here too. Any ideas? I went with this option because it was so much cheaper than getting my own tank custom made, and I thought I would just trim it real quick and get on with my design, but now I am kind of regretting it.

Thanks!

Used-Sea-Clear-Acrylic-Fish-Tank-48-X.jpg

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt cut the top off unless you plan on replacing the bracing. That top piece keeps the sides from bowing out under water pressure.

I guess you could clean cut the top off flush, then cut down the sides to the height you want, sand and polish the mating surfaces.. then bond them together with weldon 4

OP
OP
Ayrity

Ayrity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's what I figured. The other small issue is the opening in the top of the tank is too small for what I need (fitting a clarisea) Idk i am starting to feel like i wasted 250 bucks here. Part of me wants to throw it away before the wife sees it haha

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut the top off no problem IF you are going to add baffles to it. The baffles will add support needed.

Check it out below. Aquarium co-op did the same in this video.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^agreed. Properly welded ACRYLIC baffles would perform the same structural support as that eurobracing.

OP
OP
Ayrity

Ayrity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't going to add baffles but I could if that makes it so I can shorten it. Baffles wont interfere with my design.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back