I need help restocking my tank after velvet outbreak

Benoit Martin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, being pretty new at the hobby, I took too long identifying a velvet outbreak and lost 5 out of my 8 fish :(
It took me about a year to slowly stock my tank and now I have the daunting (for me) task to almost start over and I am hoping to get back where I was in less than a year without cutting corners.

What I had before the outbreak (* denotes fish that are now dead):
  • Orange ocellaris clown
  • Azure damsel
  • Diamon goby
  • Black ocellaris clown *
  • Melanurus wrasse *
  • Banggai cardinal *
  • Yellow tang *
  • Flame angel *
So my first question would be, can I introduce another clown now that my male clown is alone? Would getting a very young small clown allow them to pair up or is it a lost cause and I can now only have 1?

Then, I would like advice on how to restock the tank. I am not sure I'd be able to replace them all at once because of the cost but if I were able to, would you recommend getting 5 new fish, quarantine them together and then introduce them in the DT? Or do I have to start over and pretty much add them one at a time like I did for the previous ones?
I guess there are 2 facets to this question: since the tank used to have that many fish, would it be able to still handle the bio load (it's been about a month since I lost the 5 fish). And then, would it be safe for the fish to all be added to the tank together or will they fight for territory?

Anyway, any advice on how to proceed would be great because right now I feel pretty defeated and I am really hoping that this is not setting me back an entire year.

Thank you

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back