OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe if I get a second clown the anemone will be happy for the love that ensues. I saw a local LFS has some Spocinctus in and I am considering. Seems a polyamorous relationship like that may work well in my life.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem is looking great nice recovery it’s having!
You have two great kids Brian. The only thing to judge a person by is their character and how they treat others I think you nailed it as a parent from what you’ve shared of them something to be proud of and never any shame. The world can and is cruel but with love,understanding,support and guidance of the the folks in our lives who truly matter (family and friends) kindness and beauty will win the day.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nem is looking great nice recovery it’s having!
You have two great kids Brian. The only thing to judge a person by is their character and how they treat others I think you nailed it as a parent from what you’ve shared of them something to be proud of and never any shame. The world can and is cruel but with love,understanding,support and guidance of the the folks in our lives who truly matter (family and friends) kindness and beauty will win the day.
Thanks, Ray!

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a vagimone?
We had this Alcyonium coral in our exhibit. Might be a male colony :rolleyes:
IMG_5223.JPG

Glad things are going well @NY_Caveman , with the family and the tank.
Have you considered an urchin to speed up the grazing?

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had this Alcyonium coral in our exhibit. Might be a male colony :rolleyes:
IMG_5223.JPG

Glad things are going well @NY_Caveman , with the family and the tank.
Have you considered an urchin to speed up the grazing?
Ha! Nice coral. Thanks for the kind words.

I would love an urchin. My concern is all of the rockwork is loose as are many of the corals. The loose rocks mostly though. I have considered a sea hare, but that also has concerns. I am in no rush. The Trochus and Ceriths are getting the job done slowly. Staying patient. I have no money for corals now anyway, so it kind of works out, LOL.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie I thought you were wise when you said (paraphrasing) our tanks want to self destruct. It made me think which is one of my favorite things to do. Lately, I felt like the variables that affected the tank were on me. The opposite. As if the tank would have been better off without me.

You will all be happy to know the tank and I are on the same page now. I actually feel like it is working toward, returning to, its equilibrium. It wants to thrive again.

I never felt through the decline like the tank wanted to self destruct. I guess the thing that struck me is I did feel that way when the tank was thriving. I thought I may kill it, but the tank actually wants to survive.

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are correct. I guess I should start calling it “she.” Lots of gender pronoun confusion in my life lately anyway. She is looking much better for certain.

Let her, she, him, they pick their own pronoun...or maybe she has and you just haven’t listened ;) reef = life. Life = reef?

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do not know why I hesitated in that previous post. It made me feel a little ashamed. I guess I feel like the user base here is pretty conservative. Heck, so am I (remember, I grew up upstate NY, not NYC). I am also very open minded.

The truth is I have a son. Meet my son, Logan.
3275AAF5-0827-4C8F-922B-54384EF4C80F.jpeg

Logan was born a female and we named her Katie. When Katie was 2 she said, “When I grow up I am going to be a boy.” We thought it was cute and she was certainly a tomboy. A decade later he is still saying the same thing and we are listening to him.

I love my son very much. Even if I call him “she” sometimes he knows I am trying and I support him 100%. I said this before and I reiterate it now. It is not about changing sexes. it is about being who one truly is.

Well said! Love is love is love!! We are who we are and others perceptions don’t change the fiber within. You da DAD!!!

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said! Love is love is love!! We are who we are and others perceptions don’t change the fiber within. You da DAD!!!
Thank you, brother.

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I posted a full tank shot.

Here is the tank at its worst one month ago
D419ED03-A030-4784-A85A-6612885BD861.jpeg

Here is the tank today
6E156AA3-507E-406B-8D69-C9B7CB517EB5.jpeg

You can see the Cyanobacteria has all but gone away. All that is left is some straggly hair algae and the snails are taking care of that. There was even coralline remaining under it all.

:cool:

OP
OP
NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some spots for coral!
Several spots. I need to clear out some skeletons. I saw an asterina star today which gives me hope I still have some mini stars alive in there.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rakie I thought you were wise when you said (paraphrasing) our tanks want to self destruct. It made me think which is one of my favorite things to do. Lately, I felt like the variables that affected the tank were on me. The opposite. As if the tank would have been better off without me.

You will all be happy to know the tank and I are on the same page now. I actually feel like it is working toward, returning to, its equilibrium. It wants to thrive again.

I never felt through the decline like the tank wanted to self destruct. I guess the thing that struck me is I did feel that way when the tank was thriving. I thought I may kill it, but the tank actually wants to survive.

I have no badges because I don't want any, maybe a few brushes with the r2r "law"! :p

I love how the tank is coming back to you, I call it considered neglect, the word "feel" made me smile, we all saw it before your issues, it is getting there! :)

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, left unchecked everything will self destruct, from heater malfunction to corals growing into one another, etc etc.

The idea is mostly to get people to think it's not always going to be smooth sailing. And that most tanks end in death :(

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back