I think I found a barnacle?

Mortimer452

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two photos below, one extended and one retracted. Looks like a tiny barnacle? Strange that I just noticed this today, I haven't added any new livestock to my tank in about a month.

screen1.png
screen2.png

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feather dusters should not have a short and wide tube.. if the tube is wide - it should be tall, no?
Generally, yeah - I'm assuming the rest of the tube is out of view, but I could be wrong. It should be easy enough for the OP to verify if it's a feather duster or barnacle though:
Assuming it sends out a little clump of feathery appendages that fan out like a rake, then close in like fingers closing into a fist, I'd guess that's a coral-boring barnacle.

They're usually not a problem, but they do generally cause a little, dead/deformed patch around where they're burrowed in (and that patch tends to grow as the barnacle does). It being that close to the mouth is a bit concerning to me, but I haven't seen it on enough LPS like this to know if it's an issue.
If it fans out then rakes in like fingers closing into a fist, then it's a barnacle. If it just sends out the little crown of feathery appendages and basically sits with them fanned out in a circle, it's a feather duster worm. Either way, it's a harmless filter feeder.

OP
OP
M

Mortimer452

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, yeah - I'm assuming the rest of the tube is out of view, but I could be wrong. It should be easy enough for the OP to verify if it's a feather duster or barnacle though:
I posted this a few days ago on the same rock, just an inch or so away, I wonder if it's the same critter and he just found a spot to settle in. When the worm was crawling I did see it briefly shoot out a red proboscis of some type.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this a few days ago on the same rock, just an inch or so away, I wonder if it's the same critter and he just found a spot to settle in. When the worm was crawling I did see it briefly shoot out a red proboscis of some type.
Different critters.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back