I think I murdered my invertebrates.

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have killed every single invertebrate in my tank... Including my beautiful horseshoe crab... I've been dosing my tank lately. And I hadn't tested my tank parameters for the past 2 weeks; I looked in my cabinet stand this afternoon and noticed the alkalinity was near empty and the calcium was near full... I haven't had a chance to test my alkalinity as of yet but will high alkalinity kill corals and inverts? My fish are ok as of right now.

JPSika08

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend,

1. Test Alkalinity and Calcium levels
2. Do a 20 - 25% water change depending on the test's result.
3. Re test if Alk and Ca levels are on the norm.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes high alk can kill corals and fish. Probably above 20dkh.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are my corals just kind of in hibernation/distress mode or are they for sure already dead?

If there is tissue loss, that doesnt mean they are dead. It means that spot is receeding for any reason unknown. Lack of, or too much.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other words lack of food, calcium, magnesium, ph, light, alkalinity, maganese, iron, etcetera.

Or too much alkalinity, copper, calcium, magnesium, toxins, water flow, etcetera.

Your job is to find out what it is.

Id recommend a triton test.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any reason to assume there is a critical problem, except likely boosting calcium. :)

well all of my inverts died... so i think that classifies as a pretty big issue. but the other thing that has changed is the alkalinity i just wanted to confirm with everyone that high alkalinity could do this? and also could this also kill off ich? if you removed all inverts and fish and did a huge alk spike in your tank you could effectively kill off ich if this is so? without condeming your liverock and sand.

dwebb1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well all of my inverts died... so i think that classifies as a pretty big issue. but the other thing that has changed is the alkalinity i just wanted to confirm with everyone that high alkalinity could do this? and also could this also kill off ich? if you removed all inverts and fish and did a huge alk spike in your tank you could effectively kill off ich if this is so? without condeming your liverock and sand.
If you remove all live stock from your tank the icy dies period. Ich cycle stops with out a host. But your fish will take the ich to whatever tank you put them in.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove all live stock from your tank the icy dies period. Ich cycle stops with out a host. But your fish will take the ich to whatever tank you put them in.

but i could nuke my entire tank with a alk spike (killing ich after i remove inverts and such) and treat the fish themselves with copper in a seperate tank no? that could be 5 months faster than a full on fallow tank; that takes 6 months.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How high are you talking about? Which inverts exactly? I'm still not convinced alk did this unless it is VERY high. And usually one sees precipitation before any problem is encountered.

Adding alk too fast may have spiked pH,and that may have been an issue.

OP
OP
garra671

garra671

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high are you talking about? Which inverts exactly? I'm still not convinced alk did this unless it is VERY high. And usually one sees precipitation before any problem is encountered.

Adding alk too fast may have spiked pH,and that may have been an issue.

Horseshoe crab, snails, hermits, starfish,conch. All dead as far as I can tell. Nearly every coral has completely closed up since this happened. I know it's the alk my calc wasn't adding along side the alk and I dosed alk for nearly 2 weeks without my calc along side of it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horseshoe crab, snails, hermits, starfish,conch. All dead as far as I can tell. Nearly every coral has completely closed up since this happened. I know it's the alk my calc wasn't adding along side the alk and I dosed alk for nearly 2 weeks without my calc along side of it.

If you can get a measurement, that would help understand if it is alk or not. Lots and lots of people overdose alkalinity without having such loses.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back