I think my Hawaiin Ding Dangs are dying.

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these a couple weeks ago. I dipped them with Tropic Marin pro coral cure. I usually only dip 20 minutes. I screwed up and got distracted and left these guys in for about 90 minutes. For the past 2 weeks, they have stayed inflated, just not really open. Just looked at them this morning and I don't know if they are pooping or what.

Does it look like these guys are on their way out?

IMG_2887.jpg

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is the outside of polyps look fairly healthy (not receeding, no sign of infection, etc.). The brown stuff could be zooanthelle which would mean there is some bleaching occurring. Perhaps put them a little lower in the tank and increase the flow a little. I find a frag shelf mounted on the side of the tank to be good therapy for sick z&ps. Also run some fresh carbon.

Any changes in your system (different lights, flow changes, etc.). How's the temperature been?

softiegirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
their bodies look like they're in good shape, just dont move them around too much and i bet they'll come back. my AOG's didnt open for 3 weeks and now theyre all open and happy again.

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say leave them in a shaded area with medium water flow, I have some Vivid Rainbows that my purple tang ate there's was nothing left except a little nub, I was going to take the plug out but forgot about it, good thing cause from that little nub I had left a polyp came out now is up to almost 10 polyps, as long as there some flesh I think there's always a chance. Good luck.

RaddReef319

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say leave them in a shaded area with medium water flow, I have some Vivid Rainbows that my purple tang ate there's was nothing left except a little nub, I was going to take the plug out but forgot about it, good thing cause from that little nub I had left a polyp came out now is up to almost 10 polyps, as long as there some flesh I think there's always a chance. Good luck.

Yeah, don't give up yet. I have some vivid's fire and ices that recovered from being simply a pile of clear tissue, because of being shaded by my gold maxima.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they looking any worst than when I saw them Mark? They looked plenty alive then, just needing time to recover. I think this thread was before I dropped by so what is the status of them now? At this point with the burning them in the dip it would probably be best to just leave them now in a low light good flow spot. If you see any brown shed forming on the stems hold them in front of a strong PH to remove some of it. Try and keep them as clean as possible.

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you they were hardy little buggers. ;)

I would have to agree. I don't like to admit this, but i once left a frag of Ding Dangs out of water on my frag table for about 6 hours. I forgot about them, i came back home that nite and they were deflated and dry. For the heck of it i put them back in the tank.

3 days later they looked like nothing ever happened. Pretty mean little buggers.

AC-Kevin

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back