Icecap 3K for 60g clown anemone tank

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a 60g cube for a pair of clowns and will pack it with anemone's and a few other soft corals. Looking at power head options and thought about using the Icecap 3K pump. This will fit nicely in the tank and I believe it should provide enough flow.

Anyone else using one of these in a LPS/Softie focused 60g 24x24x24 cube?

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a 60g cube for a pair of clowns and will pack it with anemone's and a few other soft corals. Looking at power head options and thought about using the Icecap 3K pump. This will fit nicely in the tank and I believe it should provide enough flow.

Anyone else using one of these in a LPS/Softie focused 60g 24x24x24 cube?
I have it in a 93 30x30x24 Cube and it has tons of flow. I have it set to 10%. I would get the icecap 1000 for your tank

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it in a 93 30x30x24 Cube and it has tons of flow. I have it set to 10%. I would get the icecap 1000 for your tank

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I thought that the 1K would be enough but was not sure. I was leaning toward the 1K since the tank is mostly LPS and softies with a focus on the clown fish and nems. So the 1K it will be. I am also going to drill in two returns so there will be additional flow from the return lines.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, the 3k will have a much wider flow pattern and you can mount it vertically in your cube. Running at low percentages means the pump and bearings should last longer. I'd suspect you'll have to run the 1k above 60% and it's not nearly as wide.

OP
OP
bdejong1112o

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point @DSC reef, I still have not placed the order yet so still lots to consider. I see from the pictures on @Bulk Reef Supply that there is what looks like a new controller design on the 1K but the 3K has the older one. Didnt realize the size difference though. Should have looked closer at that.

Funny thing is I was watching the CoralView video on the 3K pump and when they showed the shot of the magnets the label clearly said Maxspect. I know they licensed it from them but I would think they would change the labels. lol.....

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a 3k on my 36" Red Sea Reefer 250, I am running it at gradual 20% and then 10% alternating gyre overnight. It's a lot of flow. I have 13 BTAs, and its really moving them around. I can see the gyre flow as well. I really think that the 3k on the 30' cube might be a bit too much for them to handle. Even at 10% it moves them like crazy. They are located on the end where the pump is, and I do want lots of flow with that. All that being said, I love the pump and its super quiet.

Maximus52

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Red Sea 250 and the 3k. The setting is alternating 10% to 40% for my 3ft tank. The 1k is being sold as a nano gyre.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back