Ich or something else?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So update before I leave for work again. The tang was looking really bad this morning and died off before I left so I could take it out to prevent some of the parasites. One of the clowns start to look spotty now as well but the rest of the fishes still look spot free. So I’ll update on everything when I get back from this trip. Best case scenario I have some fishes I can save when I get back. And start a new quarantine and medication for them.
Just curious - do you have a person watching the tank? If not - that would be a good idea - if your fish do die -it's possible you may have an ammonia problem in addition to the rest.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious - do you have a person watching the tank? If not - that would be a good idea - if your fish do die -it's possible you may have an ammonia problem in addition to the rest.
Unfortunately not, but I got 5 small fish total left and about 70 snails and 40+ hermits in a 120gallon so I hope it will survive an eventual die off. But I’m not sure.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately not, but I got 5 small fish total left and about 70 snails and 40+ hermits in a 120gallon so I hope it will survive an eventual die off. But I’m not sure.
The good news is they are smaller. Is there a neighbor, etc that could check in and remove any dead? This may seem counter-intuitive, but I might consider feeding somewhat less for the (I think it was 5 days) you're going to be gone - just in case - and PS - sorry about your tang.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good news is they are smaller. Is there a neighbor, etc that could check in and remove any dead? This may seem counter-intuitive, but I might consider feeding somewhat less for the (I think it was 5 days) you're going to be gone - just in case - and PS - sorry about your tang.
Yeah I’ll have to ask a neighbour to go by just to check in. Don’t have a spare key for him but at least he can give me some idea how it’s doing. Yeah I reduced the feeding now after the tang died off. Thanks a lot for the advice. I see now that maybe I need to do better quarantine with the invertebrates and corals. And maybe start to do copper and not just observation. Hard lesson to learn but I hope it only makes me a better reefkeeper.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I’ll have to ask a neighbour to go by just to check in. Don’t have a spare key for him but at least he can give me some idea how it’s doing. Yeah I reduced the feeding now after the tang died off. Thanks a lot for the advice. I see now that maybe I need to do better quarantine with the invertebrates and corals. And maybe start to do copper and not just observation. Hard lesson to learn but I hope it only makes me a better reefkeeper.
You can also buy pre-quarantined fish (if the quarantine treatment is acceptable), etc. I personally always arranged a house-sitter to look at the tank - since 1. I didn't always trust the controller I was using (rightly so) and 2. If I got an alert from the controller - either way, it required someone to go there.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also buy pre-quarantined fish (if the quarantine treatment is acceptable), etc. I personally always arranged a house-sitter to look at the tank - since 1. I didn't always trust the controller I was using (rightly so) and 2. If I got an alert from the controller - either way, it required someone to go there.
The fish I buy is always in 2 weeks quarantine at the LFS and then I only do observation. But I think most likely I got it from something else that I introduced like my new peppermint shrimps or some of my new cuc. But I just have to be better and treat proactively with more copper under my care so I know for sure there is no issue with the fish.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So fast update here, got back home to find my 2 clowns missing but the rest of the fish was still doing well. (3 leopard wrasses) with no sign of ich except one with a “limp” fin. Started to dose polyp lab Medic to try to combat the future ich and started to set up everything for a new quarantine. After 3 days all the fish look like normal and the wrasse with the limp fin is very active and started to use the fin again.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So fast update here, got back home to find my 2 clowns missing but the rest of the fish was still doing well. (3 leopard wrasses) with no sign of ich except one with a “limp” fin. Started to dose polyp lab Medic to try to combat the future ich and started to set up everything for a new quarantine. After 3 days all the fish look like normal and the wrasse with the limp fin is very active and started to use the fin again.
FWIW - I think there is a role for polyplab medic - just not for treating disease. It may be a preventative type treatment - but in general - a preventative treatment is not needed. Really glad that you have made it back home!

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - I think there is a role for polyplab medic - just not for treating disease. It may be a preventative type treatment - but in general - a preventative treatment is not needed. Really glad that you have made it back home!
It’s more of s way to treat the water for when the fish get back inside. So hopefully it helps out to eradicate the strains of the ich that is still in the water.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back