ICO heavy metal results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So first forgive me, I’m sure this question comes up a lot but it’s also sort of tank specific so others results didn’t answer all my questions.

Noticed some hard corals weren’t doing well and sent my ICP test it. It showed high levels of Al, La, Li, Mn, and especially Fe.

So for possible causes, right up on the top it’s got contaminated salt. I’ve been using instant ocean reef crystals. Is this really a common problem? I hadn’t considered that even a passing concern.

In terms of equipment I do have a very old, used aqua c 180 slimmer being run by an equally old mag drive. I suppose that and my heater would be my primary concerns but, how do I really go about inspecting them? What am I looking for?

My last guess is the magnet on my frag-rack. I just assumed it would be safe and put it in but I’m taking a hard second look at everything now. I’ll include a picture.

In the meantime I’ll do some water changes and try to bring the number down but in the end I feel like if I can’t find the source it will always be a losing battle.
Thanks!

image.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes are a great way to go about things.
If you suspect something replace or remove it.
The old stuff can be used as a back up.

The search for potential leaching equipment can be a long arduous task.

OP
OP
Psychonaut

Psychonaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t just replace every pump. Are there any tips or tricks for this long and arduous search lol?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of, just close inspection of the equipment.
Just do your regular maintenance and use a magnifying glass to look for flaws or corrosion if you have to.
Try to find out what materials the equipment you have is made of, then narrow it down.
I have read a few threads where people have searched and investigated for months and it came down to crazy crap you would never suspect or think of, such as a furnace had a corroded coil and it was blowing the particulates into the tank because the vent was over the tank.
Did not know until the thing totally failed and it was repaird, the next test was done and the heavy metals were drastically reduced or gone all together.
This person felt the ICP testing was wrong but eventually put the two together and realized it was the furnace.
So how do you test for that?
So play Sherlock Holmes and dig in....

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back