ID from crab moly?

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t seen the live crab, just the molt. Is it possible to ID from the molt or would it just be guesswork? My guess is some sort of Xanthid. I know some are fine while some are not. Thoughts?

IMG_1378.jpeg

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a gorilla crab to me based on the black tips to the claws. Did you order some live rock the crab may have been on?

OP
OP
CallMeChris

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a gorilla crab to me based on the black tips to the claws. Did you order some live rock the crab may have been on?
Oh yea, very live :D I’ll keep an eye out for it and grab it if I can. I’ve read that gorilla crabs have black tips, but not all black tips are gorilla crabs.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, very live :D I’ll keep an eye out for it and grab it if I can. I’ve read that gorilla crabs have black tips, but not all black tips are gorilla crabs.

Only had one experience with gorilla crabs in my years of reefing. Had 3 of them come on some live rock that was also very alive haha. I remember the black tips and the “fuzzy” covering on them.

Keep an eye out after lights out and you’ll probably see your crab. Well, maybe after a couple weeks, it’ll probably hide for a while recovering from molting!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back