ID on toadstool

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a regular green toadstool.
98e784fb6e472bea607ccb8c63f027c5.jpg

I recently purchased a longer polyp toadstool. Is this what’s considered a weeping willow?
05ab318c26cb04717bbdf99ad8beee20.jpg

d4152078b0c913ce69bb1041c9c0129e.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! A very pretty colored softy.

Is the coral fully extended? There are many types of toadstools and the length of polyps vary between types from short to quite long. I'm not sure it's a weeping willow. Their polyps are VERY long. See YouTube video below put out by Reef Builders. Whatever coral it is, it is nice. Congratulations on your new coral! :)

OP
OP
flfireman1

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! A very pretty colored softy.

Is the coral fully extended? There are many types of toadstools and the length of polyps vary between types from short to quite long. I'm not sure it's a weeping willow. Their polyps are VERY long. See YouTube video below put out by Reef Builders. Whatever coral it is, it is nice. Congratulations on your new coral! :)

Thank you for the reference. I guess it’s not a weeping willow. It does have longer polyps but that’s fully extended. It’s color is also a fluorescent green as opposed to a regular bright green of the green toadstool

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious what actually defines a "Weeping Willow". I have a pair that have polyps that are easily 3 inches long. The color is different than the video though. It's a bright green/yellow.

I'm not sure what to call it.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a bright green/yellow.

Hi Kellie,
I have seen green colored ones advertised for sale too. Don't quote me on this, but I think they're a Japanese type. The green Japanese type polyps don't look as long to me as the standard, but I've never owned one myself, so I could be wrong. When not in flow, the polyps will droop down like a typical weeping willow tree. I've always wanted one of the green ones myself. They're hard to find for a reasonable price. :( If you ever decide to frag.... keep me in mind! :)

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious what actually defines a "Weeping Willow". I have a pair that have polyps that are easily 3 inches long. The color is different than the video though. It's a bright green/yellow.

There are few types of Weeping willow. I have one similar that is posted above.
Pics?

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quite a bit bigger now, but this gives you the idea. There are actually 2, but they didn't open for over a year and I pretty much gave up on them. When they finally started to open the two stalks had fused at the base, so I didn't separate them. Grabbed them at a frag swap for $20 and had no idea about the long polyps. The seller just kept telling me how "yellow" the mother colony was. In my tank it's always looked green, but a month ago I switched to Red Sea Salt and they are getting more & more yellow from the bottom up.

Toadstool2.jpg

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Red Sea Salt and they are getting more & more yellow from the bottom up.

Beautiful, Kellie! Do you think the salt switch really made a difference? I've wondered whether I should buy a better salt, but I really don't see that much difference when inspecting the different brands by ingredients.

I have one similar that is posted above
Cool, LetItReef! Show it off with a pic. :)

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If u decided to frag, let me know how $ and shipping. I am looking for a green one.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a red grape macro algae.

Nice. I've thought about cultivating some of that for my tangs. I've read that herbivores love it, but I was afraid of it turning invasive in my sump or my tank. It looks pretty localized in your tank though.

OP
OP
flfireman1

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a regular green toadstool.
98e784fb6e472bea607ccb8c63f027c5.jpg

I recently purchased a longer polyp toadstool. Is this what’s considered a weeping willow?
05ab318c26cb04717bbdf99ad8beee20.jpg

d4152078b0c913ce69bb1041c9c0129e.jpg

Thanks for the help.

I recently was at a LFS and saw my same toadstool that was in question. It was labeled as an Aussie a green toadstool. Not sure if that is correct.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back