ID please

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the bad picture. It’s on the backside of my rock so it is hard to get a picture of it. Hoping someone could ID this for me.
6FF9392E-6D05-48B6-8C90-EC2B3ED6C8E7.jpeg
CDA98EF9-A16D-4F17-A494-DFB3E4B912B7.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell, but it could be an aptasia or hydroid. Either one you don't want. Best bet is to follow the "When in doubt, take it out" approach, scrape it off and put superglue or epoxy over the spot to prevent it from coming back.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s what I was expecting to hear. So is there anything to dose the water with or is the only option to scrape it off?
If you only have the one, best option is to scrape it off. Don't dose anything into the water if you don't have to :)

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after finding that one I began looking harder and have found several more. I am still cycling my tank so should I dose the water now before getting fish in it?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve not used joes juice so I can’t really say.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I was either seeing the apstasia x or joes juice either one better than the other?
Peppermint shrimp is another option.

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so an update to this situation. Well I got aiptasia-x in today and used it on probably 15-20 Aiptasia. There is small ones I can see but can’t get to because of where they are. I’m afraid my tank will be taken over by this before it has even cycled! Well I have been reading on Berghia nudibranches eating aiptasia due to that being the only thing they eat. I’m two weeks in my cycle do you think it would be to early to put some of these in my tank?

KMench

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since there’s no fish, you could pull the rock and let it dry to get rid of the aptasia? I know that sounds counterproductive but seems like a sure fire way to get rid of them.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s nitrate nitrite and ammonia levels. You can some Dr Tim’s one and only live bacteria to speed up the cycle.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so an update to this situation. Well I got aiptasia-x in today and used it on probably 15-20 Aiptasia. There is small ones I can see but can’t get to because of where they are. I’m afraid my tank will be taken over by this before it has even cycled! Well I have been reading on Berghia nudibranches eating aiptasia due to that being the only thing they eat. I’m two weeks in my cycle do you think it would be to early to put some of these in my tank?

I would wait till your cycled to add one. Peppermint shrimp would get rid of them as well.

I would just continue doing what you have been doing till the cycle is done, then add your inverts.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock was live (I assume it was you have a aptasia) and you’re ammoina is low or gone (I’d bet it is)
Get a peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
R

Rxb09a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock was live (I assume it was you have a aptasia) and you’re ammoina is low or gone (I’d bet it is)
Get a peppermint shrimp.
Would one peppermint shrimp do well on a biocube 32? I have heard peppermint are hit or miss on eating them. What’s your opinion on this?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would one peppermint shrimp do well on a biocube 32? I have heard peppermint are hit or miss on eating them. What’s your opinion on this?
They’ll eat the small ones. So kill the big ones with app x or joes juice , and the shrimp should eat the little ones.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back