ID these zoas? Pinky-orange discs and frills, dark ring at the bases of their frills, yellow mouths.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You seem to be the local zoanthid authority, so I'll take your word for it. They don't have the ring around the yellow area, that's for sure.

I went looking online for pics. Googled "Alien Antivenom zoas". Some of the results that come up have that black ring, some don't. I'm also seeing things sold as Halle Berry that don't have the ring. I think these two keep getting mislabeled at each other. Too bad we don't have some kind of cool Star Trek invention that we can point at corals to compare DNA.

Do you happen to recognize these? I put them in a separate thread because they're a separate zoa.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seem to be the local zoanthid authority, so I'll take your word for it. They don't have the ring around the yellow area, that's for sure.

I went looking online for pics. Googled "Alien Antivenom zoas". Some of the results that come up have that black ring, some don't. I'm also seeing things sold as Halle Berry that don't have the ring. I think these two keep getting mislabeled at each other. Too bad we don't have some kind of cool Star Trek invention that we can point at corals to compare DNA.

Do you happen to recognize these? I put them in a separate thread because they're a separate zoa.
So more often than not many companies will not look deep into the name of a zoa if it fits a general description that’s what it’s gonna be named even if there’s a slight difference that makes them different.... that’s why there’s a debate between bowsers looking like candy apple reds looking like all this other stuff (which they’re Different because I have both and if you put them side to side you can see it lol) but yeah they get confused for each other sooo much... I have both and can see a distinct difference but others may not (they can also morph so that’s a factor ) bottom line is get stuff you think is beautiful regardless of names... and in my opinion they look like a Florida variety of zoanthid I’ve seen around not sure on a name...

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also surprisingly there’s apparently like 9 different species of zoa that all just have different colors or something haven’t done much research into it so the DNA test would be hard lolol

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thank you footgal :)... quick disclaimer though I’m still learning same as everyone else second opinions and corrections always welcome :)

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you ignore the colors and look at other aspects, it does start looking like there aren't a lot of species in the trade. Size, general tendencies in shape and frill length, whether or not they have a notable texture. These look to me like the same species as what I'm pretty sure are Rose Nebulas. They even have similar bowties. Longish tentacles, semi-large polyps, same general shape. Compare that to, say, the Beauty and the Beasts, and they don't look so much like the same thing.

(Sidenote, how big can I expect the Beauty polyps to get? Just got 'em from someone else. Very pretty, love the colors. Trying to decide where they'll live.)

Also, I've read about how a lot of "palythoas" are actually just big zoas that are misnamed, and that it's hard even for experts to tell them apart. Doesn't help anything.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are both beauty and the beast (not colored up) and Rose Nebulas... My beauty and the beast are probably nickel sized not sure if they can get bigger lol

and yeah so that’s why idc if it’s a paly or zoanthid I go by color and pattern when I ID something lol

398E23BB-EC20-42F0-81DB-2F714B099283.jpeg 5EA9BE1F-700F-4B4B-8534-B0ADCB529FE3.jpeg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol excuse the overwhelming pink hue it’s from the Lense with my hydras it’s weird

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, so I should expect the Beauties to get to a reasonable size! They're just bitty babies right now, I guess.

1600919323141.png

I bought these as Rose Nebulas, but they don't particularly look it. I mean, lighting varies and all, but my other named zoas still look like what they are. That's a Chucky's Bride in the top right, easily identifiable as such.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so I should expect the Beauties to get to a reasonable size! They're just bitty babies right now, I guess.

1600919323141.png

I bought these as Rose Nebulas, but they don't particularly look it. I mean, lighting varies and all, but my other named zoas still look like what they are. That's a Chucky's Bride in the top right, easily identifiable as such.
Lookin a lot like Pink diamonds there bud. Possibly purple monsters since your lights are pretty white. :)

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh, yeah, that could be right. I'll have to see if I can find any pics of Pink Diamonds just under whiter lights, without any editing or anything. Thanks.

I know my lights aren't exactly stellar for zoas. I don't really like how tanks look when they're really blue, though, if I'm being perfectly honest. I have blues on, I just also have whites. My corals grow, I enjoy looking at this more than I would if it was blues all the time, and I can turn it to blues only for a few minutes if I want to look at that. So I'm happy. And the macros I'm attempting look better under this light, anyway.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1600919323141.png

Yeah I’m not sure those are Rose nebulas probably something else but the skirt matches so it might just be a lighting thing lol but yeah Rose nebulas can get pretty decent in size and they’re super sparkly and super fast growers...

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are growing kinda fast, but they aren't sparkly at all. They don't get any sparklier under heavier blues, they just look like this but glowing.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are growing kinda fast, but they aren't sparkly at all. They don't get any sparklier under heavier blues, they just look like this but glowing.
If they glow really well, I’d say pink diamonds, here’s a blue pic. Some have a more green skirt and some have a more yellow skirt in the pics, it’s all based on the seller/photographer’s lighting.
7EE81632-026D-4017-ADD8-E1D7FE18FFA5.png

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no, another option that looks pretty much exactly like these. How confident are you in the ID on those? Any chance it's one of the aforementioned ones with the wrong name on?

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as playboy bunnies go I found that the strain doesn’t have gold mouths it’s more subtle but then again could be it morphing or lighting... the attached are what I usually find them as very little if any gold in the mouth

84345033-BBEB-4079-AB23-B524CB4A83C9.png

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, another option that looks pretty much exactly like these. How confident are you in the ID on those? Any chance it's one of the aforementioned ones with the wrong name on?
Definitely playboy bunnies. I have Halle Barry and Sakura and they both are different. There is another strain called just playboys that don’t have the pronounced yellow center

intricate_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as playboy bunnies go I found that the strain doesn’t have gold mouths it’s more subtle but then again could be it morphing or lighting... the attached are what I usually find them as very little if any gold in the mouth

84345033-BBEB-4079-AB23-B524CB4A83C9.png

it’s hard with these names. Vendors will just put anything on them or rename one that is the same or similar. Also sometimes they are imported and vendors will all get some and each one name them different lol.

Playboy bunny
00FD69D9-08F8-4B75-8727-FC7BF20A5357.png

Halle Berry
0391BC05-D9E4-4A9E-8DCC-E004147B1ADE.png

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1600962440397.png

The 'sparkle' is not quite showing up on camera. It's not very striking, they aren't glittery, but they have a bit of texturing on the disc.

1600962490545.png

As for the others, these don't look like Pink Diamonds. They aren't as intense and the frill is different. Maybe they're something that lived 20 feet away from the Pink Diamond wild colony. Might just sell my pending frags of these as "no-name pink and greens".
It's interesting, though, the color varies a bit between polyps. That's not just the camera, they're actually like that.

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
zzop.jpg

Update on the pinks. I got a flattering picture, finally. They've lost pretty much all the green on the frills, but I finally got a shot that shows the glitter. They're currently fistfighting my King Midas for space, and I've recently yanked some of the Midas out to help keep them from getting further invaded.
Nothing important to say here, just got a nice picture of these and thought maybe I'd put up a flattering shot of these guys instead of the iffy shots I got before.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back