OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sad sad times for this reefer. Today I went to clean my glass and noticed a seam failure. While it hasn't started leaking yet its a ticking time bomb. I don't know if I have a week or a month or an hour. The failure is at the top and in one spot its within about 1/4" from fully rupturing. Needless to say it is devastating.

IMG_9318.jpeg

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alas this "build" will be coming to an end. Im literally sick about this. I just don't have the energy or the mindset to go buy a used tank or set up a rubber main trough in my garage (after I buy a chiller) or house my stock in the numerous tanks around who have offered help. And just start over with a new tank. Im done. The sad thing is that its not a some mistake Ive made... my tank looks great with happy fish and coral... its because of a bad tank that lasted only 2.5 years even though its perfectly level, solidly supported, never been moved since its had water in it etc. etc... I have to much going on with life and work. I have to throw in the towel. I have someone who wants to buy all my live stock tomorrow. I feel like my dog died. Im so sad. Best of luck reefers.
IMG_8325.jpeg

IMG_8855.jpeg

IMG_8866 7.50.10 PM.jpeg

IMG_8870.jpeg

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, that sux. What are you going to do with all the livestock? Have you thought about contacting Red Sea? They should replace it. So many people having issues with them.
Yeah I contacted them... I actually contacted them about 3 months ago when I first noticed that the seam behind the "corner protectors" was failing. They said not to worry it was nothing. I contacted them again today and imagine Ill hear back in a couple weeks. My LFS I bought the tank through said they could probably get me a new one under warranty but the idea of trying to keep all my live stock in my garage in a big rubbermaid bin with a chiller Id have to go buy and moving lights and apex and this and that that Id have to move and set up was overwhelming (not to mention, do I really want to put everything back into a Red Sea tank?) Id no doubt watch 25%+ of my corals die in the process. I just don't have the band width in my life with work and everything else... So Thanks Redsea. 2.5 years. I had my last acrylic tank for 15 years before selling it to someone else. It had been moved 15 times. Rarely perfectly level etc. etc. Ill stop.. Obviously Im ticked.

Anyway, I found a local person with a newish 500 gal tank who got an amazing deal on 30 fish and some amazing coral colonies. Im staring at my tank as the lights dim and feel like my dog died.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the tank. Just a bummer and things looked great! If you did get a new tank you could put it on a proper stand that supports the entire bottom of the tank. That overhang seems to be the source of the problem in my estimate.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear about the tank. Just a bummer and things looked great! If you did get a new tank you could put it on a proper stand that supports the entire bottom of the tank. That overhang seems to be the source of the problem in my estimate.
Yeah thanks. I understand the problems with past stands. I actually don’t think that is what is causing my failure. The location of the seam failure might be evidence of it but I’m no expert. I look down the front of my tank and see my 3/4” glass bow out a solid 1/4”+. That’s a lot of pressure to bow 3/4” glass a very noticeable amount. I think over 2.5 years the silicone is just giving out. A center support at the top of the tank would have saved it in my opinion.

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about you getting out. Been there, done that. I was in the hobby 18 years with always second hand tanks. Then I downsized/ consolidated to a new AGA 300DD and a 25 g frag. After a year or so I open ended my basement door and smelled that sweet smell of something off. Went down to find my tank with a seam split on a vertical seam. Lost about 12 inches of water and all my coral in that zone. AGA replaced the tank under warranty. Moved into the new tank, lost some coral in the transition but things settled out. 8 months later the situation repeats itself this time a catastrophic bottom seam split and the tank was empty with 300 gallons of water on the floor. Lost 99% of my coral and all my fish, some I had over a dozen years. I gave all my gear to my adult son. Retired and moved south, then he talked me into getting back in so I’m running a s1000 g2. I felt ok doing it with the euro bracing both top and bottom and having it sit on an aluminum stand. I still check my seams. And of course when I took a trip north last week things went haywire in the tank with the Housesitter, green hair algae takeover and the kh tube off the doser, putting solution in the stand instead of the tank and now dealing with nutrient changes and a big alk swing since it was at 4.9. Headaches are part of the hobby as are losses. Take a break and get back in when you’re ready. Oh, and the dog died feeling? Had that in November with my 10 month old English Bulldog, perfectly healthy, brought her in for a routine spay, dead the next day. Bled out. Crushing. But I have a new pup that’s filling the void a bit. Sometimes life just sucks.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No freaking way. God I’m devastated for you. Sorry to hear.
Yeah it was a sad ending to my reef for sure. I am not missing all of the maintenance involved.. Its also so much easier when Im gone for a week or two on vacation now. But alas, I do miss the fish and watching my coral grow.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was a sad ending to my reef for sure. I am not missing all of the maintenance involved.. Its also so much easier when Im gone for a week or two on vacation now. But alas, I do miss the fish and watching my coral grow.
Would you consider a little nano? My 25g lagoon is pretty hands off.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back