Identification Help

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi; could someone please help ID the following? I found it on the front panel of the aquarium.

Description: Clear mass with defined brown specks. Honestly, it looks a like a dirty callus one would have on a finger. Couple of pictures both inside and out of the aquarium.

Thank you.

IMG_0008.jpeg IMG_0011.jpeg IMG_0012.jpeg

Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a planaria from pictures alone? I don't even have an aquarium yet so try doing your research on this thing as well.

OP
OP
B

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Fox; coloration and pattern match basic return results but I get a lot of hits about the Red Planaria Flat Worms. There was no red hue and it was circular in shape. It was pretty fibrous when holding with the tweezers. This is a new tank and it would be disappointing to already have pests.

The first picture is where I found it and it looks like it has layers. In the middle, there were three distinct (eyes?) brown spots in a triangular patter, then a yellow layer; then a white layer and then finally almost translucent layer. I expected it to be fragile when pulling it out but it wasn't. I did not see it move after pulling it from the tank.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to help identify we might need al little more information, like what is the origin of rock in your tank. @ISpeakForTheSeas is a genius when it comes to identifications. Even without a tank ;) My first thought was a flatworm of some kind

OP
OP
B

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure; no problem. 20 pounds from a friend's tank; 10 pounds from Tampa Bay Saltwater and the rest was clean dry rock. I ran through TBS's website of possible hitchhikers and did not see anything that looked similar. My current CUC all came from one local fish store that were kept in a separate system.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A flatworm would be my first thought too - OP, could you get a pic of the critter's top while it's in a bowl (or other container) of tank water, preferably while the creature is fully extended?

OP
OP
B

b_d_e91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok; thanks.

Here is a cropped picture of the "animal" on the glass.
IMG_0009.jpeg

Unfortunately, I cannot get anymore pictures as I pulled it out and got rid of it. If I find another, I'll be sure to take photos as requested for better identification. I apperciate the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back