Identifying Algae

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some help on trying to solve this algae issue in my tank that is beginning to manifest. I have two tanks a 72 gallon and 40BR. I do water changes from the 72 into the 40 so they both have essentially the same water and this algae is appearing in both tanks. In the 72 I can see that the algae is longer/worse the higher up in the tank I go. The sand bed/things at the bottom have hardly any algae on them. I'm looking for suggestions on how I should get rid of this. I would also like to add the tank was started in mid-September. I have also tried scrubbing the algae with a toothbrush when doing a water change, and the algae is stuck to the rocks too much to come off. I have been doing 20-25 gallon water changes every week for the last month since I added the corals into the tank.

My water conditions are as follows:
I'm using Fritz RPM salt mixed together with RODI water (system bought 3 months ago and filters still in perfect condition)
Specific Gravity: I get 1.025 on my refractometer, Fish room got 1.028 yesterday so somewhere between those 2 numbers (still looking at trying to get a more accurate number)
Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate: 0
Alkalinity 8.5DKH
Calcium 410ppm
Phosphate: 0

In my 72G the equipment includes
Skimz SK151
GFO/Carbon
CO2 scrubber
Small section of Chaeto
Tunze ATO
MP40
Mag-12 as return pump
the lights are a 4 bulb T5 with LED lighting controlled by Apex. I'm running 2 ATI Blue+(probably 6ish months old) , 1 Coral+ (2 months old) , and 1 Purple+ (2 months old)

Livestock
1 Purple Tang
1 Melanarus Wrasse
2 Black and White Clownfish
1 Yellow Clown Goby
1 Fire Shrimp
about 7-10 snails including trochus, nessarrius, and a couple misc

I tried uploading the photos directly to here, but I'm having some issues so hopefully this link will come through so you all can see the photos as a picture is worth 1000 words in this case.
https://imgur.com/a/Mcd2I

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be a little concerned that there are zero nutrients in the tank.
Limitations can sometimes lead to odd things

I'd definitely stop stripping the water with the gfo.

Have you tested the tds of the rodi ,
do you have turbo snails in the tanks ? Or turbans?

Off hand it look me like a hair algae to me.

OP
OP
Mark Waltermire

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the GFO that's in the reactor is over 1 month old so I don't think it's really doing much and I haven't done anything to keep the nitrates so low, they just went that low after installing the Skimz protein skimmer. I'm testing nitrate with a salifert test kit, so not the best, but also not terrible quality. I don't have any turbo or turban snails.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the GFO that's in the reactor is over 1 month old so I don't think it's really doing much and I haven't done anything to keep the nitrates so low, they just went that low after installing the Skimz protein skimmer. I'm testing nitrate with a salifert test kit, so not the best, but also not terrible quality. I don't have any turbo or turban snails.
The water changes will lower no3 first and then Po4.

I'd look to getting the m/p into the detectable range , add a bunch of new snails and see how that goes.

I'd also slow down the WC a bit as well. If your cal and all are ok with that you're mostly just doing It to lower nutrients.
I've observed that some algaes respond to the addition to of trace minerals. So this might be a good test for that as well.

If the problem persists for a month or so then I might consider a more agressive action. Those options generally come with unintended consequences.

OP
OP
Mark Waltermire

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking now that it most definitely is bryopsis. I will wait a few weeks more to see if it decides to go away on its own. If it does not want to then I will try fluconazole as many people seem to have great luck with it and it appears to have no consequences when used at the proper dose. It does kind of sound like a magic pill though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust me. It works like magic on bryopsis .

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't think it looks like bryo. A better pic would help.
Bryo will look like feathers and sometimes ferns.

OP
OP
Mark Waltermire

Mark Waltermire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do have some better photos that I forgot to upload I did just want to post an update that I added about 12 more snails into the tank and they are beginning to take the algae away after a week the difference is quite noticeable. I didn't want to add a stupid amount at one time and then be faced with a large die-off once all the algae is eaten. The algae does have some areas that have a fern life shape to it so I do think it is bryopsis along with the iconic air-bubble-holding appearance.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back