If mandarin fish die do they release a toxin that kills all of your fish

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am thinking of getting a mandarin fish but if they die do they release a toxin that kills all your fish

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. They have a noxious (not tasty) slime coat to deter being eaten by predators, but other than the ammonia spike associated with the death of any reef creature there shouldn't be anything too concerning

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay I thought they were like box fish and anemones that if they die they release toxins killing all your fish

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not at all. I've had mine for quite a while now. IME, just ensure you have a mature, healthy reef with plenty of live rock. If you do, they'll subsist very well on pods, worms and baby snails.

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not at all. I've had mine for quite a while now. IME, just ensure you have a mature, healthy reef with plenty of live rock. If you do, they'll subsist very well on pods, worms and baby snails.
100% this. Please make sure you have plenty of live rock in a well established tank along with a decent pod population before you introduce the fish to your tank. If you do not the fish will starve very quickly or you will be purchasing pods almost weekly to replenish food supply.

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they not eat frozen food because I am going to buy a trained mandarin fish that will eat frozen

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred will usually take frozen and pellets. Most wild caught will only eat pods and other small live foods. I would not purchase unless you are absolutely positive it’s captive bred or you are able to visually see it eating frozen foods and pellets. This is not a fish that can be quickly trained to take other foods.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they not eat frozen food because I am going to buy a trained mandarin fish that will eat frozen
I too bought a "trained" Mandarin, and kept mine in the sump for the first 8 weeks I had him. Fed him spirulina brine and frozen cyclops every single day. He ate pretty well.

But when I moved him into my main display, he never touched an ounce of food that I put in the tank. Even the very same foods he was eating in the sump. The sump is low flow and he had it all to himself, which I guess is why he ate there but not in the display.

That's why it's so important to have a lot of healthy, mature live rock in the system. Don't count on yours competing for food with the other fish. Mandarins are very slow, deliberate eaters and really do need those live foods on a daily basis. I've now had mine for over a year, and it's done well this way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back