If you didn't use Ecotech, AI, Kessil, or Neptune - what would you use?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viperspectra.

It's overly criticized by BRS, in both build quality and performance. Yet Sky got the praise with narrower spectrum, and not that much better built either. Viperspectra produce similar spread as Sky if mount higher. Two of it will out perform one Sky in all performance metrics, and for fraction of the cost. I would choose Viperspectra over Sky if I am paying for them. No way for me to justify to spend $600 extra just for Apex controllability.
I am sure some the criticism comes from the profit margin. Being bought out has a habit of changing priorities for companies.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is there to make a profit and sell their products. They produce infomercials and not unbiased publications. Think of them as the Jedi Mind Trick of reefing that only really fool the weak minded - cool to watch or read, but take them with a the knowledge that their first job is not for you to get an unbiased review... it is to promote and make stuff that they sell look better. The massive amount of people who have better tanks with black boxes like Vipars over people who drop big money on Radions should be proof enough...

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vipraspectra

Underrated when set up properly they are great!

The issue is people place them too low and have problems and then complain.

The spread aint awesome but hey I can still buy 2 for less then AIs or ecotech.

There basic simple to use abd no fuss no frills, just great lighting.

Get a par meter

Oh sorry i should add, corals look great under these lights as well especiallyblues

Pico bam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ati t5's have my vote i see better growth on a variety of my coral with these vs my radions. Otherwise some good Blackbox led's id also go with.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Straton hands down for anything LED.

If I didn't care about aesthetics (display) or heat (basement frag) I would stick with my ATI T5. 640 watts of T5 is a lot of heat.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure some the criticism comes from the profit margin. Being bought out has a habit of changing priorities for companies.
The conflict didn't really look like changing in priorities. It's simply the distrust of blackboxes. They come up with the conclusion first, and then find whatever narrative and evidence that suits that conclusion. Same as for Sky, they established the conclusion of Sky is good light, then find the narrative for it.

If truly the margin is concerned, they could easily carry a blackbox for better margin with BRS's volume. They just don't want to believe blackbox perform the same as Sky, even when their own evidence suggest that.

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used Neptune, but found those other brands to be lacking over even a Photon V2. Of course, MH for me for the wide area coverage (reflectors cannot be beaten) and pure performance. If somebody made me switch, it would be Photon V2. I wouldn't give the buffalo dung on a nickel for any of the apps and I only care about the corals, so if that matters, then forget about this post.
That is extremely cool to hear, as I'm selling my XR15 and going to the 50" Photon V2.

OP
OP
KENNYSREEF

KENNYSREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI Straton hands down for anything LED.

If I didn't care about aesthetics (display) or heat (basement frag) I would stick with my ATI T5. 640 watts of T5 is a lot of heat.
I've honestly stepped away from T5 - due to the heat output. Doesn't help the cause that I'm also in Arizona.

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally run a 300w viper spectra and 2 150w mh on my 135g. 6ft, 24in tall and 18in wide. Have a lagoon tank that needs restored in the garage. 6ft, 12in tall and 2ft wide. Will probably run mh on that too with some supplemental diy leds.

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 Reefi Uno on my current tank. I used a Reefi duo extreme on my previous tank

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back