If you Dose PH Buffer will your Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium go up and down too or are those n

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH is Low so I am thinking about adding PH Buffer.

But I remember reading in a book a long time ago that when you increase or decrease Calcium that Magnesium and Alkalinity also go up and down

And because of that you have to test all three whenever you add any of those to your Aquarium.

It has to do with them all being related.

I was wondering if I Dosed PH Buffer to raise my PH would those be affected too?

Or would anything else go up and down.

I do not have a Calcium or Magnesium test kit so I don't want to risk anything crashing or getting too high and overdosing while trying to raise my PH with PH Buffer.

But if nothing is affected but the PH then I will go ahead and Dose PH Buffer and just test PH only whenever I Dose.

What are your guy's thoughts on PH Buffer?

Last edited:

b_rad_G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH buffer is a waste of time and money. It will only raise pH force short amount of time. I would suggest instead of spending money on the pH buffer you buy a calcium test instead. Stop chasing pH numbers.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ph? I don't worry too much about ph I am more concerned about alkalinity, calcium and magnesium. My thought if these parameters are maintained then ph will be in proper range. If your ph is low you might want to increase your circulation where your power heads will make the top of water column ripple which will help your gas exchange. But don't chase ph.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back