If you had to pick one T5 bulb...

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my current setup is a 65G tank with lighting provided by 2 AI Prime Hydras. Overall I love these lights. However, I am thinking about adding a T5 fixture. I've become convinced that LED/T5 combos are the way to go.
My dilemma is that under my hood I only have room for a one bulb T5 fixture.

For the T5 experts, If you could add only one T5 bulb, what would it be?

I am leaning toward ATI Coral Plus, but I don't have a good reason for that, just a hunch. I tend to run my lights more on the blue side. But I figure I could balance the white of the Coral+ with more blue's from the LED's. My goal overall is more growth. Below is my current set up

DBC18CDF-212C-4AF3-9EA8-3B5EDFBAADC8.jpeg

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the Prime or Hydra? I believe those are two different fixtures.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/
http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/prime/

In any case the T5 supplement can be used for multiple purposes. For coral growth more on the white side (aquablue 15k, azure 15k) or for aesthetics on the blue side (actinic, blue +, super blue) / red side (coral +).

Bulb selection is always a debatable "best combo" topic. Searching will drive you nuts. Pick one and you can always change in 12-18 months when it's blub change time.

No doubt IMO the best look is LED/T5 combo.

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the Prime or Hydra? I believe those are two different fixtures.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/hydra/
http://www.aquaillumination.com/lighting/prime/

In any case the T5 supplement can be used for multiple purposes. For coral growth more on the white side (aquablue 15k, azure 15k) or for aesthetics on the blue side (actinic, blue +, super blue) / red side (coral +).

Bulb selection is always a debatable "best combo" topic. Searching will drive you nuts. Pick one and you can always change in 12-18 months when it's blub change time.

No doubt IMO the best look is LED/T5 combo.

Its the Hydra 26's.

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tank was all T5. But it also had an enclosed top, so I had to run a chiller to control the temperature. Hoping with a one bulb T5 fixture I can get some of the benefits without all the excess heat.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous tank was all T5. But it also had an enclosed top, so I had to run a chiller to control the temperature. Hoping with a one bulb T5 fixture I can get some of the benefits without all the excess heat.

Is the top of the canopy vented? Computer fans or similar can also help exhaust the additional warm air.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to pick just one bulb, I would use the ATI coral plus bulb, as it is full spectrum. Looking at your tank picture, it does not appear to be overly blue, so I think the coral plus bulb will blend in nicely.

Just a side note, adding a T5 bulb and then using your LEDs to tweak color is a good strategy. I find it easier to tweak color by adding in more white intensity on my LEDs versus trying to add in more blue if the tank is too white. A little bit of white led intensity increase seems to have a more pronounced affect aesthetically, whereas it seems like it takes a lot more blue led increase to negate a whiter looking tank. Plus, most people tend to max their blue channel out already and don't have spare intensity on that channel, but most people tend to run their white channels at lower intensities and have spare capacity. In other words, if you add a T5 bulb that makes your tank much whiter looking than you prefer, it can be harder to correct with your LEDs than adding a bluer type T5 bulb and adjusting from there. But that will depend on what kind of led unit you are using and how you are running each color channel.

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the top of the canopy vented? Computer fans or similar can also help exhaust the additional warm air.
The back is open on the canopy. I’m going to watch the temp and if I need additional cooling I had thought of putting a fan in the sump.

OP
OP
databox

databox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to pick just one bulb, I would use the ATI coral plus bulb, as it is full spectrum. Looking at your tank picture, it does not appear to be overly blue, so I think the coral plus bulb will blend in nicely.

Just a side note, adding a T5 bulb and then using your LEDs to tweak color is a good strategy. I find it easier to tweak color by adding in more white intensity on my LEDs versus trying to add in more blue if the tank is too white. A little bit of white led intensity increase seems to have a more pronounced affect aesthetically, whereas it seems like it takes a lot more blue led increase to negate a whiter looking tank. Plus, most people tend to max their blue channel out already and don't have spare intensity on that channel, but most people tend to run their white channels at lower intensities and have spare capacity. In other words, if you add a T5 bulb that makes your tank much whiter looking than you prefer, it can be harder to correct with your LEDs than adding a bluer type T5 bulb and adjusting from there. But that will depend on what kind of led unit you are using and how you are running each color channel.
Good advice. Thanks

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back