IM ghost protein skimmer! Not sure if it works...

SInMontreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have my skimmer running for ab 10 days or so. It creates bubble but not much. There are no bubble in the cup only water.

I don't have any fish or coral in my 30g yet. Only cleaning crew that I add 4-5 days ago (8 hermits crab, 2 snails and 2 cleaning shrimp) I feeded them only once since I got them. My lfs said that I don't need to feed them.

So can anyone tell me if this normal for a new skimmer ?

IMG_20190107_121613.jpg

IMG_20190107_121613.jpg

IMG_20190107_123403.jpg

IMG_20190107_123355.jpg

IMG_20190107_123413.jpg

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even after adjustments you will not likely have much in terms of production until you have fish, food, etc in the tank. are you curing rock in the tank?

OP
OP
S

SInMontreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even after adjustments you will not likely have much in terms of production until you have fish, food, etc in the tank. are you curing rock in the tank?
Nope. I’m using dry rock so I just soak them in water for 3-4 days and then I place them directly in my tank. But I’m using live sand.

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine took about 2+ weeks to break in and create any measurable skim. Top of my cup is about 1/2" above the AIO partition on my IM Fusion 30L. It won't really start pulling stuff out until you get fish and other stuff in there. Based on the bubbles i see in the neck you have it adjusted correctly... give it another week or two to break in. I went down the same path and even called IM, they just told me to wait which was the correct advice.

OP
OP
S

SInMontreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine took about 2+ weeks to break in and create any measurable skim. Top of my cup is about 1/2" above the AIO partition on my IM Fusion 30L. It won't really start pulling stuff out until you get fish and other stuff in there. Based on the bubbles i see in the neck you have it adjusted correctly... give it another week or two to break in. I went down the same path and even called IM, they just told me to wait which was the correct advice.
Thank for advice! I have IM 30L too. Right now I don’t have any fish i will added them later this week and see what will happen

OP
OP
S

SInMontreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer. To me it sounds like you don't have much to skim.

Definitely feed the shrimp!
Yep I feed them today. They were staving hahaha on other hand do u have any idea why my snail go out of water ? And one of them didn't move from the top of the rock for 4 days. I check it it still alive tho. And my red leg hermit crab doesn't seem to move a lot. But my hermit blue leg move around a lot LOL

MVIMG_20190107_121337.jpg

MVIMG_20190107_121746.jpg

MVIMG_20190107_121349.jpg

AndrewB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails are constantly doing the same. I see you have the mesh lid on, that should be a deterrent. I have yet to a snail on the floor and I don't use the lid (I have the nuvo 40)

Same deal with hermits. If you aren't growing algae they'll eventually stave until you're feeding fish. IME the leftover fish food is enough to sustain the rest of my critters, but I feed a decent amount

OP
OP
S

SInMontreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails are constantly doing the same. I see you have the mesh lid on, that should be a deterrent. I have yet to a snail on the floor and I don't use the lid (I have the nuvo 40)

Same deal with hermits. If you aren't growing algae they'll eventually stave until you're feeding fish. IME the leftover fish food is enough to sustain the rest of my critters, but I feed a decent amount
I feed the crab today I gave them flake and they ate it. But they still doesn’t move a lot haha

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back