I'm looking to upgrade

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger tank because I have been told the fish I want need a bigger tank. I want to know the size of the tank I should get, where to find it, and like if I should get a lid with it. currently
I have a 55G tank with a Fluval 407 aquarium
I have carribreef sand and some dead rock I bought from my LFS not exactly sure what type
I have 2 ocellares clowns
I have 1 blue hippo tang
I have 1 powder blue tang
I have 1 cleaner shrimp
I'm interested in corals and these are the fish I'm planning to get:
common firefish x4
Linkia starfish
Carribian sharpnose puffer
mandarin fish
short spined sea urchin
Coaral beauty angel
Leapord wrasse
flame scallop
dwarf golden moray eel
I'm also interested in getting some sort of nudibranch but don't know too much about them.

I'm open to any advice and thank everyone in advance for replying.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 65 gallon to a 180 gallon around a year ago. For me it’s the ideal size. I went with a planet aquariums 180 external overflow. It is 6’ long x 24” x24”.

I’d love bigger but bigger tank means bigger everything else too. From water changes to dosing and etc. but I personally feel that that’s the minimum for a couple of tangs and bigger fish. The hippo I have already frags some of my acros and it’s still small.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also interested in getting some sort of nudibranch but don't know too much about them.
Skip the nudibranchs - they have incredibly specific diets and will starve. Some alternatives you can consider if you really want:
-Sea Hares (typically large but still short-lived)

-Bubble Snails (relatively hard to come by, though a couple of places occasionally sell them)

-"Lettuce Nudibranchs," A.K.A. Elysia spp. Sacoglossan/Solar-powered Slugs (their diets are heavily restricted to specific kinds of macroalgae, but some species have preferred macroalgae foods that can be grown relatively easily in a refugium - some Elysia species have even been aquacultured)
Edit: Some other cool critters that don't look quite as similar include Cowry/Cowrie snails, Fleshy Limpets, Elephant slugs, Chitons, etc. - not the same, but also possibly good replacements.

Last edited:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a pricy upgrade so if budget is clnfern I would look for a used setup from someone in the area getting out of the hobby. I would recommend a 6 foot tank that’s 150g +

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the nudibranchs - they have incredibly specific diets and will starve. Some alternatives you can consider if you really want:
I'm not too adamant on them. My friend really wanted me to get one but it's definitely not a need. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 65 gallon to a 180 gallon around a year ago. For me it’s the ideal size. I went with a planet aquariums 180 external overflow. It is 6’ long x 24” x24”.

I’d love bigger but bigger tank means bigger everything else too. From water changes to dosing and etc. but I personally feel that that’s the minimum for a couple of tangs and bigger fish. The hippo I have already frags some of my acros and it’s still small.
I will not have the tangs for over 5 years. I plan to give them to Paul Cuffaro, a popular fish influencer. Do you think with that plan in place a 125 would work. I just don't have too much space.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back