OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE have to get away from this idea that dirt is bad for fish. We Humans evolved to eat a lot of dirt in our lives, most Neanderthals didn't have that little push thing next to their Delta sink faucet filled with that nice smelling baby blue Anti- Bacterial soap with the Supermodel or Clownfish on the label.

They used to kill a 5 thousand pound Wolly Mammoth by standing behind a door and tripping him as they lumbered by. Then Mr. Ally Oop Neanderthal would take out his pen knife and carve out a quarter pound piece of meat for a hamburger, if he was married he may cut out another piece for his main squeeze, then they may rinse it off in the same puddle their dog sleeps in and scrape off the 15" Mammoth hair with their teeth before eating it whole. The rest of the Mammoth they gave to the dog or put it in the recycle bin.

Remember Neanderthals walked around for about 400,000 years while we have only been here since they invented Malls so they were pretty successful in spite of all the dirt and Wolly Mammoth hair they ate. Dirt may be the secret to keeping us and reef tanks healthy even though I realize most people today feel dirt is bad, but thats because of advertising and probably lawyers. (I blame lawyers for almost everything)

Fish in the sea eat a lot of dirt and fish poop. Fish poop is mostly gut bacteria so fish know what they are doing and as long as we leave them alone and don't medicate them or treat them like our domesticated designer lap dog they will be fine. We make them sick, no one else. Besides fish don't really have a tongue so may be can't tell the difference between poop and a T Bone steak.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually put a fair amount of organic garden dirt in the deep sand bed in my sump. I did that because I was trying to grow shoal seagrass. I did not have success with the seagrass but everything else has done great! I think of fish poop and dirt as nutrient rich fertilizer for coral and macroalgae.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 45 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back