Inexpensive MH bulbs

andywe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing one of my MH bulbs (I'm not on the LED train until it matures more)...and found this very interesting...

Aquarium - Aquatic - Metal Halide Lamps | 1000Bulbs.com

13 bucks a bulb??? I am going to try some just for the hell of it, especially since my new tank is not stocked with Coral yet (too new)...

Definitely would be interesting to see if they how they compare to my Radiums and Reeflux bulbs at 1/3rd the price....Even if they only last 1/2 as long, still a lot cheaper than any other bulb I have ever owned.

Searching around these bulbs seems to get pretty good reviews. If anyone has tried them definitely post your experience.

Andy

orthokardia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used pulserite bulbs and would highly recommend them for a refugium that houses macroalgae. They rock for growing algae. I think Lindsey has had the same experience, but you should ask him directly.

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The forums I read in Taiwan never has anything good about the cheap MH bulbs. something like they usually have no UV shielded glass, and they breaks a lot sooner than the others... I am not sure if it's the case here.

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to the expense we put into our tanks, I am all for paying for quality. I understand the repacement of the MH bulb is expensive but it sure is worth it to have the right tool for the job so to speak. Saying that, I have no experience with that particular brand of bulb. I have on the other hand had plenty of experience trying to save a few busks and it costing me more in the long run.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go LED :D I love not having to worry about replacing bulbs any more. Plus Radium's are becoming a lot harder to find now. Glad I switched!

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you missed that part :)

I'm going back to MH from LEDs, I'd be interested in how this turns out for you. BTW, I thought all glass was a UV blocker.... maybe I'm just ignorant?

Nope didn't miss it :D Just suggesting it since LEDs sometimes get that "Not Proven" stigma. If done correctly work fine.

and no, not all glass is UV rated. It is glass that has a special UV coating on it.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope didn't miss it :D Just suggesting it since LEDs sometimes get that "Not Proven" stigma. If done correctly work fine.

and no, not all glass is UV rated. It is glass that has a special UV coating on it.
+1 My Led's are in service for over 2 years and other than upgrading from the used fixture i originally bought to a custom built high quality fixture to my specs. I have not had one problem with the Led's nor had even thought about replacing any bulbs for many years, Plus my electric bill is down by 2/3 of what it used to be. Oh and my Coral mostly SPS never looked better or had better growth. But there will always be nay sayers no matter what the facts are. JMHO
Bill

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good find got sOmething to ready when I'm at work. Slow day lol

Bill I don't think you had LEDs for 2yrs you started the same time as I. Mine leds just turned 1yr old

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good find got sOmething to ready when I'm at work. Slow day lol

Bill I don't think you had LEDs for 2yrs you started the same time as I. Mine leds just turned 1yr old
You may be right, It just seems like it's been longer between both fixtures i have had but either way I'll never go back to anything else. Just the energy savings alone are worth it aside from 10 year bulb life. Im going to research a little and see when i bought the first one from the guy online that Lindsay now has.
I still need to talk to you when you have time call me Please
Bill

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill...I'm curious about your comments on SPS growth a color still being good with LEDs. It's not what I have heard in the SPS forum on RC. Can you tell me more about it? Are most of your SPS green, blue, pink? How many do you have? What kind of experience did you have with MHs before you switched to LEDs?

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill...I'm curious about your comments on SPS growth a color still being good with LEDs. It's not what I have heard in the SPS forum on RC. Can you tell me more about it? Are most of your SPS green, blue, pink? How many do you have? What kind of experience did you have with MHs before you switched to LEDs?
I started with M/H back in the early 80's along with T5HO in the recent past, I have never had any problems with those types of lighting other than the 350.00 electric bills
My current tank has a very wide range of high end SPS from Tyree, Sniper,ORA,1/2 of Dave's SPS that he sold when he took his tank down and I could go on but you get the Idea. I have the Original Purple Monster (Tyree) And the 500 Efflo The Tyree Ice Fire Echinata and some that have been passed to me from Angela Short Via Who knows where she got them but every color you can get i have and plenty of them at the moment as I am also holding coral for a friend. I am not very good at posting or taking pictures but anytime your in the Spring Hill Area come and see for your self. My tank will compare with any that i'm aware of in this Club or area that i know of even after battling AEFW for about a year and losing 1/2 of what i did have.
IME Led's are a learning curve that a lot of people have not figured out yet or are willing to spend the large amount of money required to do them right. Plus from reading a lot on this subject the corals first have to adapt to a unfamiliar light source but when they do they will thrive like under any other light source. I have seen all the nay sayers that IMO gave up too fast to have their coral adapt to the new lighting.
I'm also not trying to force anyone to do what i prefeer just inform them of my results along with several friends with the same results as me.
Bill

Last edited:

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah was call you yesterday. Sorry. I did try get ahold of him with no luck. I'll send him a text with your number. I think he out of the country right now maybe wrong but his phone goes Straight to vmail.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with M/H back in the early 80's...

I'm curious, how do you keep the under sides of your SPS from going white? It happened to me when I switched from MH to LEDs, I can't stand looking at the white undersides. Don't get me wrong, the electricity saving are great, but after a year of LEDs and the white undersides, I'd rather pay a bit more.

Sorry for posting in your club thread, I'll get off of it.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back