instead of running a separate pump in fuge..

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just thinking out loud.. if you had an extra manifold outlet and you hard plumb a piece of straight pipe down into fuge area of sump and add an elbow at the very bottom to act as a powerhead to move macroalgae around and suspend detritus? I would use a gate valve to control flow and I get that you lose some flow back to display. Any reason for/against?

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a cheap pump (< $20) and move it around every now and then.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a manifold in my build with 5 or 6 ports, to be pumped off a separate varios-8. One or the manifold outlets will be plumbed to the fuge with a spray bar.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a good idea, assuming you are not already running your return pump full out just for the return to the tank. I think diverting a little flow off into a manifold is going to be more efficient than running a separate pump, and one less thing to go wrong or to have to maintain.

OP
OP
schaNYC

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree, I plan to use an oversized return pump anyway and I don't see myself running more than 1 reactor (carbon mostly/occasional gfo, which can be mixed together in 1 reactor). Also 1 less socket used/1 less wire going into sump. With a pump sitting inside fuge, I imagine there is good chance of macros clogging the device too.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back