Interceptor treatment

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was looking in my tank the other day at some new corals that weren't growing as much as some of the others and saw little red bugs again. Some of you may remember when I had the 120 set up that I had begun to notice a red bug problem on a few of my corals and apparently they can also survive a kalkwasser OD. I had bought Interceptor before to treat the tank but had so many hermits and emerald crabs that I was scared to death to treat with interceptor. Since that's no longer the case, I bit the bullet and dosed with 1/3 of a large tablet. I pulled all my carbon and let it run for 12 hours in the tank. I had expected the coral to look stressed or something, but nothing changed except that all the little orange dots on my sps disappeared.

On a completely unrelated note, a lot of my zoas have been struggling and looking worse, and one colony just died completely after having looked totally awesome for a few weeks and having rapid growth. They were situated toward the bottom of the tank, but I know that light most likely isn't a problem for them since everything else lower in the tank is doing well. Since they were all in the same general area, I'm really thinking that flow to that area is just really low for some reason. I don't think it would be, but that's the only thing I can figure to blame it on. I moved them to my mom's softie tank for a few weeks to recoup, since zoas grow like wildfire in her tank. The only other thing I can figure is that my tank is a VERY nutrient poor system due to an extremely low bioload. (currently 4 fish residing in 120 gallons of water) The SPS is growing fine, and I do regular water changes, but maybe I should start feeding more and add a bunch more fish to the mix and see if that spurs some better growth out of my zoas. Any thoughts?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back