Intro and question

surveyor65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all. I have a question, but first I'll introduce myself and give you a little background.

My name is Matt and I'm fairly new to saltwater. I've had freshwater tanks most of my adult life, but decided to try my hand at salt about 4 years ago after buying a 54 corner tank off Craigslist from a saltwater guy. After buying the live rock and live sand and setting the tank, I let it run a month or better before adding any livestock (fish only tank) and had pretty good success...other than a few water quality issues that were diverted before they became catastrophic. After watching this tank thrive for several months, I started scouring Craigslist for a larger tank. After a few months, I found one that was listed as 200 gallons by a freshwater guy. After checking it out for leaks and other issues, I bought it and set it up (BTW...after measuring and converting cubic feet to gallons, it seems to be 150 gallons...AND I wish it would've been drilled for a sump). That tank is now doing well in my living room as a fish only tank and we've now changed the 54 to a reef tank with good success. I then decided to bring my hobby to work (with permission from both the employer boss and the matrimonial boss), so the hunt for a smaller nano-type tank was on. After looking for 6 months or so, I finally found the one...a 28g JBJ Nano Cube CF Quad with everything in tact and working except the transformer for the 4 moonlights was missing. I found one on MarineandReef.com, ordered it and plugged it in.
Now the question.....drum roll please.....are the moonlights supposed to blink? If so, why? If not, how do I fix the problem?
Alright...so that was 3 questions and not just one.
Have a great day, Salty Dogs, and thanks, in advance, for any help!!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. MOON LIGHTS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BLINK. MAY HAVE LOOSE WIRE OR BAD LED.

OP
OP
surveyor65

surveyor65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...protective shield taken off, lights plugged in and, sadly, blinking. I've unhooked each light individually (or as best as I can given the wiring harness) and the remaining lights continue to blink. I'm FAR from an electrician, so what's next? Do I set a meter on the connections? Lick my fingers on one hand and stick the other in the tank and test the connections with my freshly licked fingers? :( I'm an idiot when it comes to wiring. Suggestion? Comments? Snide remarks?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back